113th Spay/Neuter Clinic in Volcan

A record day! 64 animals were spayed/neutered by Dr. Andres Tello, our wonderful veterinarian. Plus he also performed several other procedures, including an amputation that required 1-1/2 hours. http://spaypanama-chiriqui.org/113th.html

We had a horrendous amputation that would have been totally unnecessary except for the inexcusably incompetent treatment by a Volcan vet 18 months ago.  The dog has been in terrible pain all this time. We were appalled to see how the poor dog's rear leg and foot were badly misshapen, and his hip was even disjointed. The owner, who lives in Concepcion,  apparently only recently discovered our clinics. 

She said the local "vet" had charged $600 and then told them the dog would be fine.  And now of course, she had no money (zero) to pay for Dr. Tello's very complicated amputation. And he found pieces of plastic--and even an 8-inch length of a bicycle spoke-- that the "vet" had put inside the dog.

Previously, Dr. Tello has performed amputations in 45 minutes. This one was so severe that the surgery took 1-1/2 hours.  We didn't close the clinic door until 8:00 pm.

To me, the treatment of this dog by the so-called "vet" was criminal! Contact me privately if you want more information.

To see pictures of the dog before, during, and after the amputation, see the link on my web page.

----------------------

Follow-up on March 3rd--I wanted to make sure the dog was doing okay, didn't pull out his stitches, etc. So Betsy Barbeau called the owner to check. She is ECSTATIC! The dog is doing wonderfully, eating like a horse, is not in pain, and has no problem walking. Another success story!

-----------------------

My sincere thanks to Betsy Barbeau. For quite some time while I've been "between employees," Betsy has graciously volunteered to schedule appointments and contact people to confirm. Fortunately, I bought a special "clinic phone" for appointments in Spanish. That way, anyone who has the phone will answer it to make appointments and use it to confirm appointments as well.

----------------------------

The March 18th clinic is completely full. We are already scheduling appointments for April 22nd.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who volunteers, donates, and brings their animals to be sterilized!

Big hugs!

Dottie 

• Upvote 2