Gasoline Chainsaw Rental

It's my understanding that you have to be licensed to operate a chainsaw in Panama, but there are a number of licensed operators about who, I'm sure, will be happy to help you. The most recommended is Nemesio Cascante of Boquete Garden Services. His wife, Lorena Pitti, speaks perfect English and can be reached at 6681-1658. I know several people who loved both their work and their prices.

Just now, Gordon Bakke said:

Licensed? I don't think so. I would suggest that if you want just cut down some limbs, that an electric chainsaw can be purchased quite reasonably - maybe $50 - $ 70 dollars.

The chainsaw must be recorded along with the information of the person who will operate it. I can't remember the name of the place where you get it done but it's in Alto Boquete. I can find the info if someone needs it.

Or....you can just buy a chainsaw, operate it as needed, then pay any penalty that results, if you are questioned/caught. I'd still like some verification of the need to record this information - what a friggin' hassle. BTW, I have bought 3 chainsaws in Panama, and can verify that there is no need to register them or record any information at the point of purchase.

Edited by Gordon Bakke

Gordon, not at the point of purchase, but you do have to register it. We also had to bring our gardener with his cedula to record that too. You go to the Minister de ambiente and pay $13 they record the serial number of the chainsaw and will also record where you are using it's good for one year. Consider this verified and take your chances on a fine that's more than $13.

3 hours ago, Gordon Bakke said:

Or....you can just buy a chainsaw, operate it as needed, then pay any penalty that results, if you are questioned/caught. I'd still like some verification of the need to record this information - what a friggin' hassle. BTW, I have bought 3 chainsaws in Panama, and can verify that there is no need to register them or record any information at the point of purchase.

Gordon, you were part of this conversation on the other forum back in 2014. Do you doubt the first-hand experiences related by others?

http://boquete.ning.com/forum/topics/tree-permit-chainsaw-license?commentId=1434455%3AComment%3A480734

You are right, Bonnie. I think I must have missed Elizabeth's remarks. Looks like any fine for cutting goes to the cutter, regardless of who owns the chainsaw? I will instruct my indigenous employee that any branches he cuts here are to be used for his domestic cooking needs.

• Downvote 1