Sunday @ 1:00pm - "Rivers & Tides" - Weekly Matinee Movie at the BCP Theater

NewsLady

"The Clubhouse" is the name of the new business which is taking over the Hex Room,but it will not be open until some time later this month.  Therefore snacks and drinks will not be available for purchase until that time.  Until The Clubhouse opens, the only option is to bring your own food and drink.   

Food and drinks will be allowed in the theater, and we will be expected to clean up after ourselves. 
---------------------------------- 
Upcoming Films: 
11/19 - Donnie Darko (2001)
11/26  - Sideways (2004)
12/3 - Queen of Katwe (2016)

We don't charge admission, but do ask for donations to pay for audio/video equipment, and to support the Film Club program.
---------------------------------- 

Sunday, November 12 @ 1:00pm - Rivers & Tides (Australia - 1995)   1hr, 32 minutes

Ratings:  8.1 - IMDB, 99% (Rotten Tomatoes), 4/4 Roger Ebert 

After the wild and crazy comedy/drama of "Muriel's Wedding" two weeks ago, we will make a huge shift this Sunday to the Zen-like atmosphere of a English language German documentary about a Scottish artist.  Andy Goldsworthy creates ephemeral art in remote and hidden corners of the natural world.  Although such films can be very boring to people who do not appreciate such art, those of us who love both art and nature will be enthralled by the calm and patient work of this unusual artist. 

From IMDB public reviews:
On one level, this film can bring out the child in us that just wants to build sandcastles and throw stuff in the air just for the sake of seeing it fall down again. On a deeper level though, it explores a profound desire to reconnect with the land. I thoroughly empathized with the artist when he said, "when I'm not out here (alone) for any length of time, I feel unrooted."

I considered Andy Goldsworthy one of the great contemporary artists. I'm familiar with his works mainly through his coffee-table books and a couple art gallery installations. But to see his work in motion, captured perfectly through Riedelsheimer's lens, was a revelation. Unfrozen in time, Goldsworthy's creations come alive, swirling, flying, dissolving, crumbling, crashing.

And that's precisely what he's all about: Time. The process of creation and destruction. Of emergence and disappearing. Of coming out of the Void and becoming the Universe, and back again. There's a shamanic quality about him, verging on madness. You get the feeling, watching him at work, that his art is a lifeforce for him, that if he didn't do it, he would whither and perish.

David van Harn
Curator, Boquete Film Club

Link to trailer
5a05ae5185c93_RiversandTides.jpg.5b43cf65b82a31fd6997b8693f69021c.jpg