Great idea for setting up a listing of pet friendly restaurants.

I have not heard of an "official policy" at Mike's Global Grill, but several times we have seen [well behaved] dogs walking around, and without complaint. Big Daddy's also, in the rear patio area at the round, fireside table seems to be acceptable.

I am of the opinon that restaurant owners have a right to decide their pet policy for themselves. In some jurisdictions perhaps the health code may override a business preference and prohibit such; I do not believe that is the case here in Boquete. Can anyone clarify?

And I do know people who are uncomfortable having dogs in a restaurant. Everyone gets to decide for themselves.

Will be interested to see how this plays out.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Keith....forgot about Mikes!

Not trying to compare Panama to the US but it would surprise me that the local jurisdictions would not have the final say regarding pet policies. If an establishment does not want pets in their outdoor seating area that is their call. If restaurants are allowed to operate without running water I would be perplexed as to not allowing dogs.

The law states that pets can't be present at anytime in dining areas.  However, many restaurants allow them thus running the risk of being fined.  That was explained to me a couple of years ago by restaurant Baru's management when they began disallowing pets in their outdoor dining area.  Baru's disadvantage is that their outdoor dining area is open to a public park and right of way unlike other restaurants where they're more private.

Just received an email from a  former longtime Boquete restaurateur and they do not recall any such law not allowing pets in patio areas. They double checked with a current Popular Panamian Restaurant owner. He stated it is up to the restaurant owner whether dogs are allowed.

For the benefit of the doubt in that there might be such a law, let's see where it is written.

On 9/17/2017 at 12:59 PM, TwoSailors said:

Just received an email from a  former longtime Boquete restaurateur and they do not recall any such law not allowing pets in patio areas. They double checked with a current Popular Panamian Restaurant owner. He stated it is up to the restaurant owner whether dogs are allowed.

For the benefit of the doubt in that there might be such a law, let's see where it is written.

TwoSailors,

I'm just relaying what the folks at Baru told me.  It could be like the custom's cosmetics/supplements law, on the books but rarely or selectively enforced. 

Perhaps someone should ask the new owners at Gyros.

Siempre,

Not doubting you at all. We have been told the same thing from the Baru folks. Got it. Do we go there on a regular basis? No. 

Just looking for what is factual.  Is it a law or not? Totally understand Panamanians not feeling the same way toward pets as other folks. Different culture.

But don't hide behind a law that possibly does not exist. Be up front and just say it is not OUR policy to not allow pets on our patio.

For the record,  ( a bit off topic but should be covered as well ) we do not have service dogs, but hopefully, no establishment is banning any service animals.