Is crime now lower in Boquete?

1 hour ago, Penny said:

It seems to me that we haven't had a home invasion or a robbery against a gringo in a long time. Am I perceiving this wrong? I don't really see how the Caldera checkpoint would reduce crime but maybe I'm wrong.

I can see how the checkpoint has been effective. For starters, the Police generally can recognize people who are up to no good, and it appears that's one of the major things they are doing there. I've never been through without them looking into my car. And when there's a crime in Boquete, one call to the checkpoint alerts the officers to check cars going toward David. The maleantes know this and most likely to think twice before targeting Boquete. The checkpoint also serves as an important symbolic gesture that crime is taken more seriously here. Symbolic gestures have been known to work wonders.

Like Keith, I too would like to see some crime reports. I've sent his two comments to Mark Heyer and Rodny Moreno of Rodny Direct. And Bob Gregory (Alto al Crimen) is a recent contributor to this site, so I feel sure he's seen Keith's posts seeking updates.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:30 AM, Bonnie said:

I can see how the checkpoint has been effective. For starters, the Police generally can recognize people who are up to no good, and it appears that's one of the major things they are doing there. I've never been through without them looking into my car. And when there's a crime in Boquete, one call to the checkpoint alerts the officers to check cars going toward David. The maleantes know this and most likely to think twice before targeting Boquete. The checkpoint also serves as an important symbolic gesture that crime is taken more seriously here. Symbolic gestures have been known to work wonders.

Like Keith, I too would like to see some crime reports. I've sent his two comments to Mark Heyer and Rodny Moreno of Rodny Direct. And Bob Gregory (Alto al Crimen) is a recent contributor to this site, so I feel sure he's seen Keith's posts seeking updates.

Sadly the crime in my neighborhood (Bajo) has gone up after the checkpoint. The checkpoint is not manned 24/7. Too many criminals live north of the checkpoint. It diverts manpower that is more needed in Boquete. It took 25 minutes for the police to get to me on a serious issue recently and they are 5 minutes away. The transitos are diverted to checking documents there rather than patrolling for drunk drivers, dangerous cellphone users, and speeders. Which are in my opinion are much more needed for public safety, as the recent carnage fotos show.  The police are rotated every several months, so their maleante recognition is short lived, unfortunately. 

Consider yourself blessed. There was a home invasion and shooting that was reported in upper Volcancito a year and a half ago (after the checkpoint). I think the guys name was Moore. I had the traumatic experience of an attempted home invasion last March.