I have had a long-standing problem of scheduling lunch with friends on Monday through Thursday because we never know what is going to be open and when. For example, innumerable times we have tried to meet at The Fish House on Tuesday at noon only to find it closed although there is evidence that it opened later that day. My Tuesday lunch group has met at Big Daddy's often in the past on Tuesday, but today I found out that it now is open on Monday but closed on Tuesday. I discovered quite by accident that The Sandwich Shop is closed on Thursday. Also, most restaurants are closed on Monday, but it would be nice to know which ones are open in order to schedule on that day.

Does anyone else have this problem? More importantly, does anyone have an idea about how to accomplish a compilation of this information. Most Boquete restaurants don't have a website, and their Facebook pages seldom contain the days and hours of operation.

My guess is that more gringos go out to lunch on Tuesday than any other day of the week. It seems a natural progression to go to the market, attend the Tuesday talks, and then go with friends to lunch. The restaurants that close on Tuesday are missing a good piece of business IMO.

An active restaurant list with phone number, hours of operation, web site link to view the menu, location, Facebook page, would be a great resource. Maybe a few restaurant owners will step up to the plate and start one?

Edited by TwoSailors

• 2 months later...

They seem to keep the hours that suit them not their customers.  I gave up on the Fish House when they tried to change to tiilapia instead of corvina.  The last time I was there they served grouper in their fish & chips.  Traditionally cold water fish are used, sole or haddock and corvina is the closest thing to these types here in the warm waters of the Pacific.  The fish & chips at Mike's and the Sandwich shop are always corvina (and cheaper).

Edited by MarieElaine

37 minutes ago, MarieElaine said:

They seem to keep the hours that suit them not their customers.  I gave up on the Fish House when they tried to change to tiilapia instead of corvina.  The last time I was there they served grouper in their fish & chips.  Traditionally cold water fish are used, sole or haddock and corvina is the closest thing to these types here in the warm waters of the Pacific.  The fish & chips at Mike's and the Sandwich shop are always corvina (and cheaper).

But they have a lobster sandwich to die for. It's as much meat as a whole lobster for under $10, including slaw and fries.

1 hour ago, MarieElaine said:

Wow, did not know this.  Is it real lobster or the fake stuff?

It's the real thing. Delicious. (Of course, they probably won't have it on the day you go and find them open. :P)

Edited by Bonnie

We tried again, last Friday around 12:15pm and again the Fish House was closed. With 3 new restaurants about to open soon and more to follow the choices to dine out are getting better and better.

It's a shame, the Fish House has generally good food, service,and prices. One just never knows when they are open.

Edited by TwoSailors

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

The owners are Domingo and Yanelis, btw. Maybe someone could get their WhatsApp number and post it so that folks can check ahead.

I have a very old restaurant list that indicates the number is 6521-2120. Thanks, Keith, for the reminder.

The list also includes a column for restaurant hours. I think it's very telling that out of about 60 restaurants listed, only 13 have posted hours.

Maybe Boquete news lady can post a request calling all restaurants/hotels to post their information. Web site, What's app, Facebook page, phone number, location, email contact and any other information they want listed. I will be glad to compile a new list once all the info is received and pass it along.

Perhaps have a Restaurant/Hotel Resource for Chiriqui,listed here on CL? From there each restaurant/hotel can post any changes going forward.

Just a suggestion!

I’m going to chime in because every restaurant has its good days and its bad days.  I had a bad meal at Fish House about a year ago and didn’t go back to it for the past year.  Then about two weeks ago I said “what the heck” and gave it a try again.  The amberjack that night may have been the best fish I have ever put in my mouth.  It was so good in fact that I went back again last week --- and ate old, gray cole slaw and French fries that had been blanched many days before.  Will I go back again?  Probably – but not soon.  In the meantime, I am just going to stay thankful that we have a lot of great choices here and I’m soooooo happy when Fish House is open and their food is fresh.  It's a roll of the dice, but when it's good, it's really, really good.