Moderator comment: several of the replies in this topic were split out from a separate topic at http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/5259-be-legal-in-panama/

The reason for doing this rearrangement is that the original topic was about enforcement of a new Executive Decree from December 2016, and its implications for those living semi-permanently as "border hoppers" using a loophole in the law. Part of the conversation morphed into a discussion about the use of police officers at the Caldera intersection police inspection point, and an attempted home invasion. Although related to some degree, this topic is really about a safety/security issue. The below quoted postings are the junction point where the conversation started to diverge. Note that some CL members highlighted this diversion, and recommended a restructuring of the postings, which has now been done.

On 3/13/2017 at 6:11 AM, Hil said:

I had never been checked at the Check Point headed back towards David before I got residency. Maybe they have been instructed to start doing so since they are "enforcing" their laws now. Thank goodness I got my Pensionado and Ecedula.

We are always stopped at the Check Point between Boquete and David. Officers are friendly and only sometimes ask to see our cedulas. We usually offer bottled water....especially on hot days.

Above is the history and background. Below is where this newly created topic now begins.

I wish those officers were reassigned to Boquete. I had a home invasion attempt and it took 25 minutes to get to my house. The boquete police station is 5 minutes from my house.

Edited by Moderator_02
splitting and merging of replies between two topics

On 3/13/2017 at 8:52 AM, Marcelyn said:

When was your home invasion?

Please be careful! It was attempted. About 3 weeks ago. 20 minute barrage of fist sized rocks breaking many windows. The criminals know there is bad police response and take advantage of it. Why are the police resources used for checking documents at the Caldera and not patrolling Boquete where the violent crime is taking place? The crime in my neighborhood has actually gone up after the checkpoint.

Please be careful! It was attempted. About 3 weeks ago. 20 minute barrage of fist sized rocks breaking many windows. The criminals know there is bad police response and take advantage of it. Why are the police resources used for checking documents at the Caldera and not patrolling Boquete where the violent crime is taking place? The crime in my neighborhood has actually gone up after the checkpoint.

How does breaking windows translate to an attempted home invasion?

What violent crime is going on in Boquete?

Are there statistics to show crime has risen since the installation of the checkpoints?

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Downvote 2

This will be my last response. I don't want to get into any further dialog. The ladrone used one of the large rocks to hammer in a window frame partially to attempt entry. That was the first sound I heard waking me up. There was a home invasion with a shooting up the hill from me in cerro verde, its in the press. 3 of the 10 houses on my block have been burgled lately. What if any statistics are there?? 

I think a bit of empathy is needed here.

• Upvote 1