Sunday Movie - 1pm at Cafe La Villa (BCP Center) - Cloud Atlas (2012)

NewsLady

Movie starts at 1pm, and food, drinks and popcorn will be available from Cafe La Villa.  (There are sofas and comfortable seats, but you can also bring cushions for the hard restaurant chairs, or folding/camp chairs for more comfort.)  There is no admission charge, but we ask for donations at the end of the movie to support the filmclubprogram program and to help pay for the video system. 

Note:  This film is 2 hours and 52 minutes long - there will be an intermission about halfway through. 

----- 

Description:  According to IMDB, Cloud Atlas is "An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.

In one of his last reviews of epic movies, revered critic and reviewer Roger Ebert wrote: 

Even as I was watching "Cloud Atlas" the first time, I knew I would need to see it again. Now that I've seen it the second time, I know I'd like to see it a third time — but I no longer believe repeated viewings will solve anything. To borrow Churchill's description of Russia, "it is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma." It fascinates in the moment. It's getting from one moment to the next that is tricky.

Surely this is one of the most ambitious films ever made. The little world of film criticism has been alive with interpretations of it, which propose to explain something that lies outside explanation. Any explanation of a work of art must be found in it, not taken to it. As a film teacher, I was always being told by students that a film by David Lynch, say, or Warner Herzog, was "a retelling of the life of Christ, say, or 'Moby Dick.' " My standard reply was: Maybe it's simply the telling of itself.

Yet "Cloud Atlas" cries out for an explanation, and surely you've noticed that I've been tap-dancing around one. I could tell you that it relates six stories taking place between the years 1849 and 2346. I could tell you that the same actors appear in different roles, playing characters of different races, genders and ages. Some are not even human, but fabricants. I could tell you that the acting and makeup are so effective that often I had no idea if I was looking at Tom Hanks, Halle Berry or Jim Broadbent. I could tell you that, and what help is it? 
Link to extended trailer 
Cloud-Atlas-banner1-PPP.jpg