Marcelyn and I were in David today for errands. On our exit we saw and got tangled up with a very strange accident. This was about 1:30PM and was at the intersection on the Pan-American Hwy where Hospital Mae Lewis and the restaurant Smokin Mama's are located. The southbound traffic was totally stopped, The northbound traffic was squeaking by under the guidance of several policemen.

I say it was a strange accident because it appears that a power pole fell from a truck onto the roadway. The intersection was totally blocked. There did not appear to be any injured person, just a lot of traffic blockage on the roadway. After we were able to go around the blockage, the southbound lane was totally stopped all the way to the new McDonald's next to La Casa de Batterias. I am sure those people were very distressed.

2017-01-13 13.37.42.jpg

15 hours ago, Bud said:

Marcelyn and I were in David today for errands. On our exit we saw and got tangled up with a very strange accident. This was about 1:30PM and was at the intersection on the Pan-American Hwy where Hospital Mae Lewis and the restaurant Smokin Mama's are located. The southbound traffic was totally stopped, The northbound traffic was squeaking by under the guidance of several policemen.

I say it was a strange accident because it appears that a power pole fell from a truck onto the roadway. The intersection was totally blocked. There did not appear to be any injured person, just a lot of traffic blockage on the roadway. After we were able to go around the blockage, the southbound lane was totally stopped all the way to the new McDonald's next to La Casa de Batterias. I am sure those people were very distressed.

2017-01-13 13.37.42.jpg

According to Twitter reports the vehicle which was struck was following too close behind the utility truck and trailer carrying the pole.

When the utility truck turned off the highway the pole swung around, smacked the other vehicle and fell off the pup trailer.

I don't imagine this is uncommon, I remember the same thing happening to a woman's car down by Los Anastacios about 5 or 6 years ago.

Edited by Keith Woolford

4 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I believe the Panamerican Highway runs east/west, doesn't it, and the Boquete/David road north and south?

The compass direction (in this instance more correctly stated as directionS, plural)  that the Pan-American Hwy takes depends on one's location. Parts of the highway are east-west, some north-south, etc. In the particular area where this accident happened it is more east-northeast to west-southwest (or the inverse, depending on your direction of travel).