Sunday Movie - 1pm at Cafe La Villa (BCP Center) - "I Origins (2014)"

NewsLady

Note:   Please accept my apologies for this late notice after promising to get the notices out earlier.  I unexpectedly ended up moving this week after finding a nearly ideal very long-term rental in lower Volcancito to replace my old rental casa which is now up for sale. 

I look forward beginning the Boquete Film Club screening for 2017, and to seeing those "regulars" who can attend tomorrow's screening on such short notice.  Below is a list of January's films.  I will send out details each film the week before the screening.   

January  8:  I Origins (2014)

January 15:  Kubo and the Two Strings (2016 - a "stop action" animated film)

January 22: Cloud Atlas (2012) 

January 29: The Color of Paradise (2000)

(Several Boquete Film Club members have recommended films for screening, and I will review those over the next few days, and add some of those to the schedule starting in February.)

---------------- 

Movie starts at 1pm, and food, drinks and popcorn will be available from Cafe La Villa.  (If you like, you can bring cushions for the hard restaurant chairs, or folding/camp chairs for more comfort.)  There is no admission charge, but we ask for voluntary donations at the end of the movie to support the program and help pay for the video system. 

---------------- 
Sundance 2014:  I ORIGINS - Review by Adam Chitwood 

The debate between science and religion has been going on for centuries.  It’s a struggle that not only manifests itself in the physical form of heated discussions and protests, but it also takes place within ourselves.  Writer/director Mike Cahill explores this issue on an intimate scale in his new dramatic sci-fi film I Origins, which delves into themes of love, relationships, science, and the afterlife to hauntingly beautiful results.  It’s a highly emotional film that connects on many levels, and while Cahill comes very close to packing too much into the story, it crescendos with an emotionally powerful conclusion that resonates deeply.  Read my full review after the jump.

I Origins opens, appropriately enough, with a close-up of the human eye.  We’re introduced to Ian Gray (Michael Pitt), a PhD student studying molecular biology with a particular emphasis on the eye.  Since the age of Darwin, the human eye has been used as evidence of intelligent design, as the argument goes that science cannot explain something as technically complex as the human eye.  Ian has been working to prove that you can scientifically explain the eye, and his research focuses on tracking the evolution of the eyeball through different species.

While attending a Halloween party, Ian meets a masked woman with gorgeously unique eyes.  After a brief sexual encounter, Ian can’t stop thinking about her and decides to track her down.  He eventually finds and falls in love with Sofi (Astrid Bergès-Frisbey), a reserved free spirit whose openness to the possibility of past lives and the existence of the afterlife runs up against Ian’s pragmatic approach to our place in the universe.  Though the two come from opposite philosophical viewpoints, they’re so wildly, madly in love that it doesn’t seem to matter much in the beginning.  While their relationship is burgeoning, Ian’s sharp new lab partner (Brit Marling) continues to work on their research into the eye and, after some time, comes to a shocking breakthrough that has a serious impact on the world as we know it.

Link to trailer

I Origins Poster.jpg