Greetings Group,

I am writing on behalf of a friend who has an inguinal hernia that is need of repair.  He is searching for a physician who has a private practice, but also practices at the David CSS, as most of our doctors do.  He wants to have the surgery performed at the CSS.

If anyone out there has a recommendation on the best doctor for this type of surgery, and/or has experience with surgeries performed at the CSS, it would be most appreciated if you would kindly provide contact information and your experience(s).  You may contact me off-line at fredtejan@yahoo.com if you wish.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration in this matter.

Kind Regards,

Fred Tejan

Edited by FredTejan

I don't have a doctor recommendation, but can relate the experiences of two Panamanian friends in need of a hernia operation. The first, my gardener, has been on the waiting list for several years. The second, a neighbor, was on the list for over four years but finally had his surgery earlier this year after having been rescheduled twice. If your friend wants attention anytime soon for this elective surgery, it's best he go private.

• Upvote 1

Holy smokes, I had no idea that the waiting list was so long here in Panama.  I had a hernia caused by shoveling snow a year and a half ago (no, I don't miss snow here) and I thought waiting three weeks was a long time to get it repaired in the USA.  Time goes by a little more slowly when you have a painful hernia. I don't know how your gardener does it, Bonnie.

Best wishes to your friend, Fred.

Maybe a little clarification is needed.  He will be paying the surgeon, as well as the surgical staff.  He is not going in as a patient in the CSS system.  He has already spoken to one doctor who assured him that in this situation, there is no significant wait time.

Thank you much for all of the replies thus far,

Fred

I had Hernia surgery done in 2006 at Mae Lewis with Dr Pretelt (has retired since) from Boquete.  The surgeon (Dr Pretelt)  the anesthesiologist and two nights in the hospital cost me only $1500...my guess is that price has doubled if not more.

• Administrators

Understanding what FredTejan (the topic owner here) is attempting to achieve in his modified search regarding healthcare (as documented in his "repost" version on this same general subject), we are opting not to merge the two topics, but rather lock this original topic. Any future replies should be posted in his new topic, which is located at: