Hyperbolists in our Community!

I'm not too old to remember the good old days when members and contributors to the various social sites pertaining to Panama and Chiriqui Province would never ever resort to hyperbole and exaggerations in a million-billion years. It was a kinder, gentler online community where everyone liked to teach the World to sing in perfect harmony. The lyin' would lay down with the lame. No animals would be harmed in the comments. Everything received the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. It was kumbaya for one-and-all. Then, the metaphorical meteor hit and the Earth was utterly destroyed in the wink of an eye. But CL rose from the ashes like a phoenix and now soars on gossamer wings throughout the heady heavens of higher intellect like the daydreams of Steven Hawking, and there is yet hope for we struggling survivors of that hideous mayhem.

So as you stealthily hunt for your sustenance through the dark jungles of Central America,, make certain that you know all the secret signs and cunning bird-whistles, lest you should become intoxicated by a poison blowgun dart mistakenly fired by one of your contemporaries.

The cruelties are always in others,

wryawry

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wryawry

Even though I can't even pronounce your name, I kind of like the way you write, although I have to look up every other word on the thesaurus to understand you.  Maybe I will choose you to write the authorized biography of my life.  It's a good one! 

8 hours ago, Marcela said:

Hi Wryawry

Even though I can't even pronounce your name, I kind of like the way you write, although I have to look up every other word on the thesaurus to understand you.  Maybe I will choose you to write the authorized biography of my life.  It's a good one! 

Thanks for giving me "permission" to say that I (actually we, meaning Marcelyn and myself) have difficulty with WryAwry's name. We just call him 'Wirey'. He seems to be a deep thinker and a deep writer. Like you, I frequently have to study his words to figure out what I think he really is saying. At times, I do succeed in getting his message, and at times I don't succeed. But I keep trying. There is value there.

For 'Wirey': Marcelyn and I have a personal policy of not responding to praise about CL, other than, where warranted, to say thank you. [On the other hand, we always try to resolve/mitigate complaints and issues.] But I will say thank you for your positive feedback.

On April 5, 2016 at 9:53 AM, WryAwry said:

Then, the metaphorical meteor hit and the Earth was utterly destroyed in the wink of an eye.

I'm bouncing your line of thought up to a more global level as opposed to our little region of the world; we are just a subset of "a kinder, gentler [global] online community". My opinion here: Not sure I would have used the word destroyed. Perhaps changed for the worse is more on target to my way of thinking. Hopefully this is only a cyclical thing, and tranquility will ultimately show its face again. If so, probably not in my lifetime.

Just curious if you can/might elaborate a bit on what caused the meteor, and why it happened? And where is this "new world" of frustration, angst, confrontation, etc., going? At times I think it is because of the massive communication (I use that word only because I don't have a better one) capability -- especially that that is anonymous or lacking in accountability for what is said -- that has been brought about by the Internet and the resulting social media. At times I see it as 'unsocial media.' Truth and responsibility seem to have been tossed out the window.

I do not see the ugliness or lack of civility here in Panama to the same degree as in the so-called first world countries.

5 hours ago, Bud said:

Thanks for giving me "permission" to say that I (actually we, meaning Marcelyn and myself) have difficulty with WryAwry's name. We just call him 'Wirey'. He seems to be a deep thinker and a deep writer. Like you, I frequently have to study his words to figure out what I think he really is saying. At times, I do succeed in getting his message, and at times I don't succeed. But I keep trying. There is value there.

For 'Wirey': Marcelyn and I have a personal policy of not responding to praise about CL, other than, where warranted, to say thank you. [On the other hand, we always try to resolve/mitigate complaints and issues.] But I will say thank you for your positive feedback.

He's a "wry" (disdainfully ironic or amusing) man who who's a bit twisted or askew ("awry").

He also indulges in what writing teachers call "purple prose."

The preference is presenting the paragon of the purplish-pink, persimmon-pastel palette of poetic prose partitioned with an impudent prurience.

KEEP

CALM

AND

ENJOY THE

SEMI-CLAD YOUNG LOVELIES ON

THE CHIVE