It is truly imperative that people who are considering moving here and read the numerous internet sites about Boquete, or Chiriqui, or Panama’, MUST REALIZE that each particular site, or comment, is not necessarily factual. The majority of sites lean towards their own particular motive to entice people to move here.

When someone makes a broad stroke comment, you must consider the source. It could be true, it could not be.

Most times, when a site and its posters make only glorious, “positive” claims about how paradisaical it is here, they have a motive. They are going to be benefited financially by the numbers of people moving here. The expats who have something to gain will rarely tell it like it is. That defeats the purpose.

Expats who try to earn their living here, many who are NOT legally qualified to engage in business, do so by selling real estate, used cars, services, advise, or renting their personal properties. Of course they want more people to live here. The greater the expat community, the better chance they have to gather more “customers”.

Having over thirteen years of experience living here, I have always told people about what it’s really like moving and existing here; the good, the bad, the ugly, and the truth.

It takes a certain, free spirit type of person to truly enjoy living here. Panama’ is certainly not for everyone. All one needs to do is to research the rate of those who pack up and move back home… making an incredibly costly choice for a life experience…

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And before making a permanent move, rent for a minimum of 6-10 months in the area you plan on living. You have to experience the rainy and dry seasons, water availability and quality, Internet availability and quality, visit hospitals and medical clinics, etc...

Amem to what Chica de Chiriqui said! One size does not fit all. According to Don Ray, one should rent for 60-10 months in the area you plan on living. This is generally good advice, but again, one size does not fit all. I moved to Volcan 11 years ago, bought within 3 months, and I've never regretted it. I should add, though, that I'd never advise anyone to live in an old Panamanian house house while it is being remodelled, like I did! (Oh, the horrors!)

But before moving to Panama, after a two-week visit in the Volcan area, I immediately knew this was where I wanted to live the rest of my life.

But for anyone who is noise sensitive, I'd advise checking out the potential purchase or rental property several times during the late night and early mornings--more than once--for traffic, barking dogs, roosters, etc. I didn't do that, but I lucked out! 

After all the hassles of remodeling/enlarging the old Panamanian house,  I couldn't be happier with my house and my neighborhood. My neighbors are all Panamanian. 

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, I find myself agreeing with Chica.  Bad, bad me.  I, along with my wife, have lived in a few countries, so a move to Panama was, well, just another move.  We didEVERYTHING wrong according to the "experts", arrived for a check it out trip and never left.  Also, we bought a house within three months knowing that resales are a problem.  But, a couple of things.  We are independent and do not rely on others for help.  We didn't buy a McMansion, instead improved a house with good bones as we saw fit.  We can both do carpentry, electrical wiring, plumbing and even welding, so we don't need much from others - and that, to me, is the trick here.  If you arrive and are dependent on others you are going to either get gringo'd or the work will be shoddy.  Are we happy here?  Absolutely.  Will we ever move again - never say never, but it is unlikely.  Chica is right, it takes a special kind of person to accept the limitations and frustrations of life in Panama but if you are that kind of person, you will love it here.  Those trying to stretch their pension income and the permanent tourists will likely never feel completely at home - in their background mind will always be the thought that they can go home again if things get tough.  That is no way to feel comfortable here.  Many countries ago I hailed fron the U.K., have lots of family there.  Would I go back?  Nah, been there, done that.  Now, Thailand?  Hmmmm, interesting!  But I am getting older and this place is everything I have ever wanted, so likely here I stay.  People, make arrangements for health insurance, wills and everything else.  Don't ever forget, there is only one way out of life, be prepared.

Yeah, yeah JohnF13.  You echoed some of my post and expanded on it.

As for me, Latin America has always called to me. I've spent  time in  several countries in Central America and South America and I chose Panama. Panama is home. I'm originally from the US but I won't go there even for a visit. Who knows when Homeland Security (the Fatherland) will target someone and deny permission to leave, in addition to what they've already done with currency controls. 

You're originally from the UK. I'm originally from the US. For both of us: "been there, done that."