Some thoughts on face masks from Dr. Rod Gottula

NewsLady

I don't want to beat this mask thing to death, but here's the latest from CDC and AMA. I too have been fitted with N95 in the past, and yes it's best if you can do that, however, that's not going to happen down here.  I looked into KN95 when covid first hit and they are SLIGHTLY less protective than N95 (92-93% vs 95%). However, because of their shape, they do seal better around the mouth and nose on most people than Paper or cloth masks.  Personally, having a son and friend (who were vaccinated), get Covid with only a 15 min exposure, I tend to error on the caution side.

Leading the News

CDC says cloth masks not as effective as surgical masks, respirators against COVID-19

The New York Times (1/14, Mandavilli) reported, “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday clarified its stance on various kinds of masks, acknowledging that the cloth masks frequently worn by Americans do not offer as much protection as surgical masks or respirators.” The Times added, “According to the CDC’s new description of masks, loosely woven cloth products provide the least protection and layered finely woven products offer more. Well-fitting disposable surgical masks and KN95s...are more protective than all cloth masks, and well-fitting respirators, including N95s, offer the highest level of protection.”

The AP (1/14, Stobbe) reported CDC officials “removed concerns related to supply shortages and more clearly said that properly fitted N95 and KN95 masks offer the most protection,” but they “noted some masks are harder to tolerate than others, and urged people to choose good-fitting masks that they will wear consistently.”