Sentence Handed Down in Murder of Journalist

The men convicted of the crime will spend 36 years in prison

Three men have been sentenced to 36 years in prison for the murder of journalist Ramón 'Monchi' Cano.

The incident took place on April 1, 2014, outside the home of the victim in David, Chiriquí.

Those convicted of the crime were Amilcar Quintero Villarreal, Ovidio Núñez Villarreal and José Gabriel Miranda Ledezma, who was the godson of the journalist. The men were trying to rob the victim.

The defendants were sentenced to 24 years in prison for the murder and 12 years for the robbery.

- See more at: http://www.prensa.com/in_english/Ramon-MonchI-Cano_21_4369273036.html#sthash.irv1qBay.dpuf

Edited by Keith Woolford

Keith

This is interesting.

As I have previously stated in other post I am not a lawyer but has studied our codes, laws, and have had to talk with friends that are lawyers regarding some subjects of the actual legislation in Panama.   But as I much as I can recall I like that now the new Sistema Penal Acusatorio is using the figure of giving sentences based on each individual crime commited.  For example 24 years for the murder plus 12 years additional for the robbery.  In the past they did one single trial and the sentence was only a total one.