A group of us had lunch today at Toco Madera, the completely reinvented restaurant inside the Hotel Ladera. It was fabulous! There were eight of us and four different menu selections, and everyone loved their selection. The new chef is Spanish and therefore excels in Spanish cuisine, but the menu was varied and the hamburger and fish and chips were reported to be first rate. Two of us had the skirt steak (empana), accompanied by a garlic and parsley side sauce as well as cherry tomatoes and fresh mushrooms; it was tender(!) and very flavorful. Two diners had the fabada, a hearty Spanish fava bean soup with meat and vegetables, welcomed on a cold, rainy day. Both of them declared it superb. We were served before the meal with tapas, including Papas Bravas (a delicious Spanish version of potato salad), fried yucca (which even those of us who normally don't like yucca enjoyed), and crunchy house-made bread. The maitre d' was welcoming and attentive, the service very good, and the chef made four or five appearances at the table to explain the menu and check on us. Prices were reasonable, in my view, with the pensionado discount being figured into the bill without our having said anything. Add to that the gorgeous ambience in the lobby, restaurant, and bar, and you have a complete package. I encourage everyone to give this restaurant a try. Let's keep it in Boquete. (The maitre d' said, by the way, that tapas accompany drinks during happy hour.)

Edited by Bonnie

38 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

Bonnie, do you remember times for their happy hour?

No, I didn't ask. But you can email them at info@hotel-ladera.com. Or call 730-9000 or 730-9001.

Edited by Bonnie