Notice this blog post is from today, 22 October 2015

http://richarddetrich.com/2015/10/22/good-reasons-to-come-to-panama/

Safety
Panama is one of the safest countries in Latin America for tourists. Tourism crime especially is low. You won’t have to be constantly on your guard for pick-pockets or purse snatchers like in other countries in the region. Foreign residents will tell you how safe they feel in Panama compared to other countries in the region and it is only getting better. Under the new Varela government, effective measures are being taken that have already reduced crimes in general by 28%.

Edited by Admin_01
edited to clean up formatting attributes

it is largely accurate. Consider the standard set. Venezuela, Honduras, Guatemala, we are focused on recent crime here locally. Argentina and Brasil are teetering on economic collapse, the highest murder rates in the world are all around us. I don't know of much tourism related crime in Panama. But, I'll listen if you say so.

In the same post the writer says Panama offers free health insurance for tourists (not anymore), that tap water is safe to drink (not everywhere and not always), that most Panamanians speak English (not in my experience), that the infrastructure is first rate (tell that to those living remotely), and that Punta Pacifica Hospital is ranked in the top five hospitals in world (according o whom?). Not a whole lot of credibility here.

Edited by Bonnie
punctuation
  • Upvote 1

now you are onto something. When I first came here Panama was famous for the cleanest water in the world. There were signs everywhere. However, remember when we talk about Latin America, Panama, especially after Martinelli spent ten billion dollars, has pretty spectacular infrastructure compared to....? It is always compared to Latin America, a rapidly deteriorating disaster area.