Buried in the news stories today about closing the border with Colombia are some quotes from Varela about requiring everyone to have a proper immigration status.   For example, this story said "Varela also announced the implementation, in the coming months, of a new immigration policy that requires everyone to have formal immigration status to be in the country after the six months tourist visa."   (http://www.thepanamadigest.com/2016/05/panama-closes-border-with-colombia/)

I hope this doesn't mean that doing border runs is at an end. Our plans call for a 2-year stay in Panama, so it isn't worth it to us to go through the process to get a pensionado or friendly nations visa. 

The English language press doesn't have much to say on this, so I'm starting to dig into the stuff in español. 

3 hours ago, LaurenLake said:

Buried in the news stories today about closing the border with Colombia are some quotes from Varela about requiring everyone to have a proper immigration status.   For example, this story said "Varela also announced the implementation, in the coming months, of a new immigration policy that requires everyone to have formal immigration status to be in the country after the six months tourist visa."   (http://www.thepanamadigest.com/2016/05/panama-closes-border-with-colombia/)

I hope this doesn't mean that doing border runs is at an end. Our plans call for a 2-year stay in Panama, so it isn't worth it to us to go through the process to get a pensionado or friendly nations visa. 

The English language press doesn't have much to say on this, so I'm starting to dig into the stuff in español. 

I am not sure PanamaDigest is being honest on what they printed.