MastheadUSA-New-cropped.thumb.jpg.257b1570dd622ef6aa2e950b01933952.jpg

March 17th, 2024

Fifth Sunday of Lent

5thLent.jpg.369a1da73862ae8b443b3c9d93bb866e.jpg

Message from Father Michael

Today’s Theme:

“Metamorphosis into a Better Life”

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

(Jeremiah 31:31-34)  Our First Reading tells of a shattered people whom God has not forsaken, but who will soon make a new and more intimate covenant with Him.  Commitment, based on inner conviction, can sustain the ravages of time and temptation. 

~~~

(Hebrews 5:7-9  Through His obedience and suffering, Christ became the source of eternal life for all mankind.  So it is with the Eternal Sower and the seed of everlasting life:  In suffering and docility, the seed of the Word was plowed under the furrows of sin and infidelity, in order to reestablish the cycle of life and of love.  To all who accept and believe the “Good News,” Christ is the forerunner and pledge, mediator and manifestation of the fruits of salvation.

~~~

(John 12;20-33)  In His death, Jesus will be glorified and this will bring life to those who follow Him.  When the Sower threw the “seeds” of human life to the earth, He knew that silent death and waiting in hope were prerequisites for the harvest of abundant life that will follow.  Like the dying grain in the earth, an observable wonder of nature, our dying to life is a necessary aspect of redemption.

~~~

Human Vulnerability

The “hero” in the story of the dying grain, is, of course, the seed, itself.  By being consumed in the soil, it brings forth new shoots, and is magnified some seventy-fold.  This “metamorphosis” from grain, to new plants, occurs countless times throughout the growing season, and produces our bountiful harvest of cereal grains.  Personifying the seed, giving it “human attributes,” Jesus utilized this example to apply to human behaviors.  In order to attain to eternal life, we are expected to “die to self” and become a new creation, in His image.  This doesn’t imply “weakness,” but, rather, a manifestation of our true destiny.

Some people insist that their heroes must never show signs of weakness; display hesitation, doubt, uncertainty or fear.  For them, heroes must, at all times and in all circumstances, be strong, brave and unflinching!

One such modern-day hero, Martin Luther King, Jr., the leader of civil rights movements in America, reluctantly undertook his calling, bringing him hardships, insults, imprisonment and threats to his life—eventually his assassination.  During his struggle, he knew many “low” moments, and confessed, at one point, he was at “rock bottom.”  His home was bombed, and he thought he couldn’t go on.  He tired of the insults and injuries, and in a state of exhaustion and despair, threw himself to his knees before God and prayed:  “Lord, I have taken a stand for what I believe is right.  But now I’m afraid.  The people are looking to me for leadership.  If I stand before them without strength and courage, they too will falter.  But I’m at the end of my powers.  I have nothing left.  I can’t face it any longer” (MLK: Personal confessions.)  At that moment, he experienced the presence of God, in a way he had never before imagined.  That understanding enabled him to continue his struggle. 

Martin Luther King, Jr. is no less a hero because he showed that he wasn’t “made of stone.”  Heroes who never show weakness or vulnerability are not believable.  Nor are they of much use to us as models.  We can’t identify with, or imitate them.  On the other hand, when we meet someone who is hesitant, reluctant and fearful, we find that person much more authentic.  The element of reluctance is of the essence of the matter.  The saint or martyr who seeks his fate with eagerness never rings true.  We love to see the true person behind the hero.  

Our Blessed Lord didn’t go to His fate with any kind of assurance.  He had His lowest moment in the Garden of Gethsemane, when His soul was so deeply troubled that He said: “My soul is ready to die with sorrow” (Matthew 26:38.)   John has no account of the “agony in the garden,” but we catch an echo of it in today’s Gospel Reading, when he has Jesus say: “My soul is troubled” (John 12:27.)  

In some respects, the agony in the garden is the most comforting part of the Gospel, because it shows Jesus at his most human.  Thereafter, He goes resolutely to His fate, much like the grain in the earth.  But when that dreadful moment was pending, He was so distressed that His sweat “fell to the ground like drops of blood” (Luke 22:44.)  He did not contemplate suffering and death with stoicism.  He was appalled at the prospect.  One can only wonder from whence He gathered the strength of will to face it! 

Alexander Solzhenitsyn once said: “One would not be human if they didn’t feel fear, when danger threatened.  Courage is not never feeling afraid; it is, rather, feeling afraid and persevering in spite of it.  A person without fear is no hero; it is the one who overcomes fear.  Another author, American poet, Karle Wilson Baker defined courage like this: “Courage is fear that has said its prayers.” 

Jesus’ agony in the garden gives us comfort and hope in our low moments.  There is no need to pretend we are made of stone.  We must not hide our weakness and fear.  Like Jesus, we must turn to God in heartfelt, meditative prayer; and seek human comforting as Jesus did when He asked Peter, James and John to watch and pray with Him.  

May God Richly Bless You!

image.png.c7f3edd8b7dcfc4ec7f677430e22723e.png

Today's Meditation Music:

Clean.docx

You may view a recording of today's Holy mass, here:

Edited by Father Michael