September 10th, 2023

24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

HowManyTimesShouldIForgive.png.2ccb45a5df1b85a3e169216b45ecfc64.png

“How Many Times Should I Forgive My Neighbor?”

A Message from Father Michael

Today’s Theme:

“Kindness and Mercy”

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

(Sirach 27:30-28:7)  When we refuse to forgive those who have sinned against us, we exclude ourselves from receiving God’s forgiveness for our own sins.  

As God took Israel back after its many sins, Jesus ben Sirach reminds the people to remember that one day, they would inevitably face death, and hope for divine mercy and forgiveness.  

~~~

(Romans 14:7-9)  The entire existence of a Christian is for Christ and for others.  

Paul tackles the problem of unity and diversity within the community of believers.  He advised people to avoid unkindly criticizing one another; refrain from giving scandal; and relinquish selfish preferences in deference to others.  Mutual respect and tolerance, a plurality of opinions and a diversity of practices, were sought in union with the one faith and dogma of the Church. 

~~~

(Matthew 18:212-35)  We must be willing to extend to others the gracious forgiveness that God has extended to us..

Our debts of sin were forgiven by the ultimate sacrifice of Christ on the cross while we were still sinners!  Matthew urged that we “Look at the gift of the cross, and then look upon one another with similar love and limitless forgiveness.”

Asking for Forgiveness

Forgiving someone who has hurt or offended us is never easy—sometimes, it can be extremely difficult.  Nonetheless, to forgive is to be in a position of strength.  As the injured party, we are doing the giving, so we are in control.  That is a good feeling!  We have something to gain from it.

Asking for forgiveness, on the other hand, is much more difficult.  It is to put oneself in a position of weakness, poverty and humility.  You become the one who has “done wrong,” and must humble yourself to ask another for something that you may, or may not, receive.  You are not in control…things are out of your hands…

According to Jewish law, sins committed against God can be absolved by sincere repentance.  But for sins against fellow humans, we must first seek the forgiveness of those whom we have wronged, in order to be in a position to invoke divine mercy.  (The Christian position is not much different.)

Here are some things you might say, when asking forgiveness:

•  I know words are not enough, but I’m asking you to forgive me for what I did.

•  I know I put my happiness before yours, and I hope you will forgive me.

•  I don’t expect you to forgive me right away, but I hope you can, anyway.

•  I have no excuse for my behavior, and I’m sorry that it happened.

•  I’m ashamed of myself for hurting you.

•  I hope you can forgive me for failing you.

•  I apologize unconditionally, and I know it still isn’t enough.

•  I’m sorry for how much pain I have caused you.

•  I’m sorry that this miscommunication made you feel frustrated.

•   I’m sorry I handled things this way and I promise, next time will be different

•  I was wrong for what I did, and I’m sorry.

•  I’ll do whatever I can to make it up to you.

•  Take your time forgiving me, but know that I am so sorry.

(Sarah Barkley, May, 2023)

While the nature and number of our sins may differ, it is an unfortunate fact that all of us commit sins that hurt ourselves and others.  Our human tendency is to point to the wrong that has been done to us, and dwell upon it.  We hear such things as, “He did this;” “She said that;” and “It’s unfair, and it hurt me.”  Even small children can recount such experiences in their young lives.  But, as mature adults, we must strive to put aside our pride and seek to mend differences with others.

In teaching us to forgive our brothers and sisters, Jesus was not “glossing over” the reality of the hurts that sinful actions cause.  It’s simply that a higher reality—God’s forgiveness of our sins—should enable us to forgive those who offend us.  Compared to our offenses against God, the debt owed to us is comparatively minor.  It is simple justice that we should forgive without limit.  Writing in the second century B.C., Jesus ben Sirach saw this truth from afar when he said, “forgive your neighbor the wrong he has done and then your sins will be pardoned when you pray” (Sirach 28:2.)

C S. Lewis, a noted Christian essayist of the 20th century echoes this thought:  “How can we forgive the incessant provocations of daily life—to keep on forgiving the bossy mother-in-law, the bullying husband, the nagging wife, the selfish daughter, the deceitful son?  Only, I think, by meaning our words when we say in our nightly prayers: ‘Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.’  We are offered forgiveness [by God] on no other terms.  To refuse to do it [for others] is to refuse God’s mercy on ourselves”

(Weight of Glory on Forgiveness, p7.)

May God Richly Bless You!

image.thumb.png.423e620d33820586e4f3d7c66657c65a.png

Believer's Prayer.docx

To view a recording of today's Holy Mass, click here:

https://youtu.be/k9C8_6fX1ns

Edited by Father Michael