Pastor's Letter 20230618 - 18 June 2023 - God's Enduring Kindness

MastheadUSA-New-cropped.thumb.jpg.427273f476fcf7ef19407ae51d207aa0.jpg

June 18th, 2023

11th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Harvest.jpg.c66a11681f49b160bd084d7f60eea1d0.jpg

A Message from Father Michael

Today’s Theme: “God’s Enduring Kindness”

“Ordinary Time”

When we think of “Liturgical Seasons,” we typically mean those “major” times of Advent, Christmas, Lent and Easter, that could be thought of as “the main events” of Christ’s life—from His incarnation, birth, death, resurrection and ascension into heaven

Rather than something “plain,” or “unimportant,” then, as the words might usually imply, Ordinary Time includes the weeks immediately after the Epiphany, until the First Sunday of Lent; and then those from Corpus Christi to the First Sunday of Advent.  These (30-plus) weeks of “Ordinary Time,” include Christ’s miracles and parables; His calling of the Twelve; the Sermon on the Mount; the disclosure of the “Bread of Life;” and much more.

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

(Exodus 19:2-6)  God’s call to every believer imparts dignity and identity; by virtue of that call, we become ministers of His earthly reign.

Long after Moses’ ”Sanai Event,” Christians regarded Yahweh’s covenant with Israel as the type and “prefigurement” of the relationship afforded to humanity in the person and saving mission of Jesus Christ.

The tenets of God’s conditions there, prescribed His followers to become a nation of priests, a holy nation—not in the clerical sense as set out in Leviticus, but in the prophetic sense of Isaiah—to be exercised as a testimony to the Lord before all the nations.

As consecrated people of God, in the new covenant, we retain a similar vocation today, calling on us to fully live the life of the Gospel, in the midst of contemporary culture.

~~~

(Romans 5:6-11)  Paul chastised the Church of Rome, saying that they were unworthy of the “undeserved grace” of God’s salvation.  There is no logic to be found therein, but because of that gift, sinners can draw near and be saved. 

Paul’s enthusiasm and joy almost “leap from the page,” as we read his description of God’s agape love.  This is love that is uncaused by the attractiveness or worthiness of the object—in a word: it is selfless.  It has been noted that God doesn’t love us because we are good; rather, we are good because God loves us.

~~~

(Matthew 9:36-10:8)  Those who are commissioned for the Gospel mission are also given a share in the power and authority of Jesus.

With their many pressing needs, the “people of the land,” (as the Pharisees termed those outside the law,) were without a shepherd—a field ripe for harvest.  Writing in the late 80s, A.D., Matthew identifies the twelve “apostles,” as those who had experienced the risen Lord and been commissioned by Him to preach the Gospel.  

As guardians of “holy tradition,” they and their successors, were the Church’s first leaders.  Charged by Jesus with a share in His healing work, they were also empowered by His authority over sickness and evil.

Becoming Apostles

Our Blessed Lord, Jesus, chose some very unlikely candidates to begin His earthly ministry.  From the standpoint of “qualifications,” as a group, they were not “team oriented;” and there was ample evidence of jealousy and rivalry between them.  For instance:

Simon Peter exhibited emotional instability and fits of temper; Andrew lacked leadership qualities; James and John, sons of Zebedee, were “hot-headed;” Thomas showed a questioning attitude that undermined morale; Matthew, showed ability, but as a dishonest tax-collector—a hated class—he projected a poor image for the group; James, son of Alphaeus, and Thaddeus, both had radical leanings; Simon was a member of the Zealots, whose aim was to remove the Romans from Palestine; Nathaniel and Philip were possessed of insecurities.  Only one among the original twelve showed, what we would call ability, resourcefulness and a “business mind,” and that was Judas Iscariot!  

This shows that Jesus didn’t work with “perfect” human material, but simply, “ordinary people.”  Far from perfection, the apostles had the same human faults and failings we find in ourselves.  Being “chosen” is a privilege and an honor, but also a great responsibility.  The Israelites were chosen to be a light to the nations; and the apostles were chosen for a task—to help Christ with the “harvest.”  

At Baptism, we also were “chosen.”  Although none of us can “do everything,” each of us can “do something,” to further the cause of the Gospel.  Like the apostles, we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ.  There is a whole world of people for whom Jesus shed His saving blood, but who (because the Gospel has not touched their lives,) will not experience its elevating and perfecting power in their societies and cultures, or in their personal lives.

If we are faithful to our calling as ministers of Christ’s Word, the Gospel will spread and God’s kingdom will be built.

Christ of the Gospels

Today, Jesus depends upon us.  In order to become an apostle of the Lord, it is not necessary to be “exceptional,” much less a saint.  All one needs is a willingness and an “open heart.”

Our Gospel today reminds us of the “real” Jesus, Who showed compassion “in action.” When He looked at “ordinary people,” He saw a collection of individuals, with their unique problems, worries, joys and sorrows.  Far from despising them, as the Pharisees did, He showed them empathy, precisely because they were wounded and in need.

His first act was to give Himself to them.  But, knowing how great the “harvest” was to be, He summoned helpers, (apostles,) to aid Him in His work.  Bringing their unique backgrounds, these men became His friends and special companions during His earthly ministry, and beyond.  He trained them, not in a formal way, but by living with them, walking with them and being a Model for them.  They learned to do what Jesus did, and when He sent them out on His mission, they became agents of compassion to others, especially the poor and suffering.

In our study of the Scriptures, we sometimes can forget Who Jesus really was.  The Church can forget, too.  It can put out doctrines, dogmas, rules and regulations.  Individuals can put their private devotions before Christian living.  Today, there is an increasing preoccupation with revelations and apparitions.  Meanwhile, there is also a yearning hunger for the Christ of the Gospels.

The best way we can show our thanks to God for all the love He has shown us in Christ, is to share that love with others.  This is the role that we play in the world—to become the “hands of Christ” to everyone we meet.

Mother Teresa, in her daily prayer, said it best:

Dear Jesus, help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go.  Flood my soul with Thy spirit and life. Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Yours.  Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I know will feel Thy presence in my soul.  Let them look up and see no longer me but only You.  Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine; so to shine as to be a light to others. Amen.

May God Richly Bless You!

image.thumb.png.022d9c37c7a02419e674606113d055ef.png

Prayer of Mother Teresa.docx

To view a recording of today's Holy Mass, click here:

Edited by Father Michael