Pastor's Letter 20230205 - 05 February 2023 - Our Christian Identity

829544653_MastheadUSA-New-cropped.thumb.jpg.4a5c854eb459ca40223a7323819f97ce.jpg

February 5th, 2023

5th Sunday in Ordinary Time

1295239407_SaltandLight.jpeg.a6ebd815d77f245d1581485890fb3540.jpeg

A Message from Father Michael

Today’s Theme:  “Our Christian Identity”

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

(Isaiah 58: 7-10)  Fasting “from-,” renders us “for-” doing, giving and being present for others.

In concept and in practice, Hebrew spirituality is highly positive and altruistic.  Isaiah speaks to us today about the triple dimension of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.  True prayer gains energy from fasting, which frees the spirit; thus, making one more sensitive to God’s ways as well as the needs of others—as expressed in sharing one’s bread, shelter and clothing.  Genuine worship of God is shown forth in the practice of justice and in concern for the poor and the needy.

~~~

(1 Corinthians 2:1-5)  Temptation to “want” to appear wise, often springs from foolishness.  Ours is a faith that bids us discover God’s ways and wisdom.

Paul adopted a more simple and direct manner of preaching to the Corinthians, after his apparent failure with the Athenians (Acts 17.)  His “hard line” of the Cross dominated his ministry but was seen as all but foolish to the Greeks, who devoted their studies to the search for wisdom.  Paul realized that the “wisdom” of Jesus Christ, Crucified and Risen from the Dead, could not be achieved by augmentation or any amount of mental reasoning.  Rather, the Spirit, by Whose power Paul preached, would enable his hearers to come to the faith.  The success of the Gospel doesn’t depend on human cleverness, but on the power of God.

~~~

(Matthew 5: 11-13)  Christ’s followers will fall prey to the inevitable persecutions and hardships that lead to happiness of the Kingdom.  

“Salt of the earth” has always been a complimentary statement.  A precious commodity in the ancient world, salt was at one time meted out for pay, giving us the word “salary.”  Used to preserve food, and giving it a more pleasing taste, it was also given to newborn babies for medicinal purposes.  Covenants of friendship were sealed by “taking salt” together.  By Jesus' words, “You are the salt of the earth…the light of the world,”  He indicated His disciples would be persecuted the same way as were the prophets of old, and by their work and words, give value to the earth.  His Kingdom was prophetically resent, begun, yet not fully realized.  Thus by their good works, His disciples would convey to all peoples the same values as was the “salt” of their normal life. In the same way, failure to believe, and live a life worthy of their calling would make them “tasteless” and useless.   

Let Your Light Shine

People take notice of good deeds.  They don’t have to be “spectacular,” but only simple, and effective to give witness to the “the light.”  A good life is a strong and effective witness, and in itself, is a proclamation of the Gospel.  “The light will shine” when one is a genuine person, who tells the truth and is fair in all their dealings. 

As Christians, we have a very positive role to play in the world—something to offer, something the world desperately needs—even though it may not always welcome it.  We should not shy away or be apologetic for our role.  A certain boldness and courage is required.

This task is not simply for the individual Christian, but also the whole community.  It is easier—and more effective—to witness to Christ as a member of a supportive community.

Christ asked His followers to be the salt of the earth, and the light of the world.  That doesn’t mean we must suddenly leave our jobs, rush out and get involved in a whirlwind of good works.  It means that we are tasked with practicing our Christianity, not just in Church, but out in the world; in whatever situation we happen to find ourselves.  All the more so, if, by reason of our position, we happen to situated on some “hilltop,” where we can be easily seen, when people look for “the light.”  

No matter in what profession we find ourselves, we know what is expected of us.  Each of us must examine our own function in the world and ask how we can best practice our faith—how we can be “salt” and “light” for those to whom we minister, and during the everyday situations that occur.  

There is a tendency to take critical matters seriously and neglect trivial ones.  This is when corruption is more likely to begin.  There is only one remedy: set aside the time for important matters, and also tend to those with less initial effect, but often times, with long-reaching consequences.

There is a tendency to think we are “good” because we are not conscious of doing any great evil.  But what about those things we fail to do?  

Alexander Solzhenitsyn recalls, a he says, “with shame,” an incident he witnessed at his front door, while serving a captain in the Russian army:

“One day, I saw a sergeant of the secret police, on horseback, using a whip on a German soldier, from a captured unit.  Naked from the waist up, he staggered under the blows, his body covered in blood.  Suddenly, he saw me, and cried out, ‘Mister Captain, save me!’  

“Any officer in any army in the world should have put a stop to this torture, but I was a coward.  I said nothing and I did nothing.  This picture has remained in my mind, ever since.”

He could have “brought light” into that dark situation, but he didn’t.  “Be not simply good,” says Thoreau, “Be good for something.

The Gospel is mainly about goodness.  But goodness can’t be a “put-on” thing.  They must be an expression of the kind of person I am.  Clinging to the authenticity of the moment will result in lives lived as the best witnesses for Christianity.

Another story, about a biblical scholar, goes to this point.  Known for his great piety, as well as his diligent study of Scripture, he spent many hours of the day diligently studying, praying and meditating.  One day, a holy man visited his town, and upon hearing of it, the scholar went to see him.

He asked at the Church, but didn’t find him there.  He wasn’t found at a local shrine, either.  Eventually, the man was located in the marketplace.  

When they met, he told the holy man who he was, and of his daily study, prayer and meditation.  Then he asked,  “Please give me your advice on how I might grow in the service of God.”

The holy man’s advice was simple and direct.  Looking at him, intently, he told him, “It’s easy to be a sage or saint in your own room.  But you should get out into the marketplace, and try to be a saint there.”  

We don’t know if the scholar had the courage to act on that advice, but it is the kind Christ, Himself, would have given.  In fact, this is exactly He meant by our being the “salt,” and the “light.”  No one puts a lamp under a tub, but puts it on a lamp-stand to shine for everyone.  In the same way, our own “light” must shine in the sight of people, so that when they see our good works, they may give praise to our Father, in heaven.

May God Richly Bless You!

image.thumb.png.0a7daf856d4e551781f6e08350894964.png

Let Your Light So Shine.docx