Pastor's Letter 20221113 - 13 November 2022 - The Lord Comes to Rule the World with Justice

1655667604_MastheadUSA-2.thumb.jpg.4c1567fb959ab9c84ca47f9e88ddf363.jpg

November 13th, 2022

33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

1404253182_DayoftheLord.jpg.f8fa6139805928b1d75ef172ac653e91.jpg

A Message from Father Michael

Today’s Theme:  “The Lord Comes to Rule The World with Justice”

Reflections on Today’s Scripture

(Malachi 3:19-20)  For some, the Day of the Lord evokes eager and joyful anticipation; for others, dread and fear. 

Writers usually reflect the flavor and character of the times in which they live.  Social developments, political upheavals, economic booms and disasters—all have a way of finding expression, regardless of their chosen genre.

The prophet Amos prophesied a “reckoning” of the Lord for social inequity as early as the eighth century B.C.  Popular opinion, anticipating such naïve “pipedreams” as a “conquering hero” for the Messiah, were cast aside by him and repeated in today’s Reading from Malachi.  A day of judgment for Israel was promised—a day when people would attempt to hide themselves in the dust, in terror of the destroying whirlwind of the Lord’s fury!  The righteous would be rewarded in this upheaval, but the evil ones would perish forever.  This became a rudimentary vision of heaven and hell.

~~~

(2 Thessalonians 3: 7-12)  Cultivating a difference in attitude takes a lifetime of faithfulness, spelled out in responsible service and attentive prayer.  Those who love the Lord and remember His words are already prepared for His coming.  

Paul’s letters to the Thessalonians in the middle of the first Christian century (ca.50-51 A.D.,) saw a city in the middle of a welfare problem.  Some people, expecting the Lord’s imminent return, were unwilling to work, causing economic burdens for the society—thereby becoming a social nuisance.  In an effort to refute their thinking, those who truly believed in the Gospel were instructed to conduct themselves in diligent service for the Kingdom.  Paul’s timeless words are indeed relevant and timely for us, today.  Like the early Christians, we are called to work tirelessly toward that same goal.

~~~

(Luke 21: 5-19)  As we share this period of preparation, it is better to turn from those, whose preaching about fiery revenge and brimstone transforms Jesus’ return in to a thing of fear, and turn toward the saving promise of the Lord: “I will give you words and wisdom;” and “By your patient endurance you will save your lives.” 

As our Liturgical Year comes to its end, we concentrate on Jesus’ Second Coming.  Although full knowledge of the resurrection has yet to be ours, we face the reality of the Cross—still a powerful part of our experience.  In today’s Gospel, Jesus’ prediction of war, earthquakes, pestilence and famine reflect the events of the 60s and 70s A.D., when the Roman armies of Emperor Titus reduced the Jerusalem temple to rubble.  Modern readers of the Gospel should heed Jesus’ advice concerning our attitudes and behavior.  Persecution should be seen as an opportunity for bearing witness for the Lord.  Confidence, hope, joyful anticipation and patient endurance invoke not mere survival, but victory and salvation.

Faith: Striving in Times of Adversity

Jesus didn’t “hold back” when advising His disciples of the difficulties they would face.  He was being realistic, and spoke of wars, earthquakes, revolutions, plagues, famines, persecution, imprisonment, betrayal, hatred and killing.  He said such events would provide faithful followers with opportunities to bear witness to Him and to the Gospel.  In times of darkness, light is needed; in times of falsehood, truth is needed; in times of hatred, love is needed; in times of war, peace is needed; in difficult times, Christian witness is needed….

By forewarning us, Jesus better enabled us to withstand hardships.  He urged us to use wisdom, courage, fortitude and patience to withstand challenges to our beliefs.  If we remain steadfast, He assured us we would triumph.

Faith actually seems to thrive in times of adversity.  Indeed, sometimes faith is even “born” of hardship.  In this respect, it resembles certain wildflowers, which, when planted in a garden, go to seed.  But when put on a mountain-side, they flourish.  

In a world where so much social and political turmoil is seemingly overwhelming, people of faith will often be regarded as naïve and ineffective—even irrelevant.  But we must not be afraid of others’ skepticism and cynicism.  Our trust in God gives us the strength to “hold our ground,” sustaining us with the belief that goodwill ultimately will triumph over evil.  Such inward strength can be gained if we trust in the Holy Spirit, working within us, helping us live through tragedy.

Jesus’ prediction of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem actually happened in 70 A.D.  As shattering as a blow such as that would have been to many Jews of the time, our own world has seen enormous changes, too.  In our case, it’s not a “building,” but a “whole world” that has passed away.  We see this in the many changes that have occurred within our own societal attitudes toward the family, as an example.  We are bombarded by ever-more-frequent assaults on accepted morality, and even our traditional ways of self-expression and thought are questioned.  “Political correctness” and the “Woke” movements of our day are rampant around us.  The only thing that remains constant, throughout, is the love which we feel from Our Blessed Lord.  

Faith does not mean wishing things were different.  No one is helped by denial.  Faith gives us strength to cope with reality as it is.  God does not spare us pain, but He can rescue us from despair, if we humbly implore Him.

Endurance

The Diary of Anne Frank gives insight into how a person’s faith can sustain them through the most difficult trials.  One remarkable passage serves as a vivid example.  She writes:

“It’s difficult for [us] young people to hold our ground, in a time when all ideals are being shattered and destroyed; when people are showing their worst side; and do not know whether to believe in truth and right and God.  It's really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out.  Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are good at heart. I see the world being turned into a wilderness; I hear the ever-approaching thunder, which will destroy us too; I can feel the sufferings of millions; and yet, if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will all come right; that this cruelty too will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again.”

Such testimony to hope at a time of social upheaval, is an amazing expression of faith.  Anne never saw peace and tranquility return.  She and her family were taken to Belsen Concentration Camp, where they died in 1944.  

We might ask, “What gives someone the ability to endure such hardships as those?”  The righteousness of one’s cause can provide great strength, and the encouragement and example of other like-minded people is also of great value.  But the best support comes from our faith—giving us the conviction that eventually, goodness will be victorious over evil, if we “stay the course.”

Gandhi said, “A person with a grain of faith in God never loses hope, because he ever believes in the ultimate triumph of the truth.”  We must not be afraid of skeptics and cynics—but “hold our ground” with our beliefs that are founded in truth.  

Of course, we wouldn’t be “human” if we were never afraid when danger threatens.  However, the question is not fear itself, but how we overcome it, that is at issue.  Faith can only be “proven” in suffering and endurance.  Jesus showed us the ultimate stoicism when He bore the suffering of the Cross.  When we show endurance, we share in Christ’s suffering, and in so doing, we shall also share in His glory.

May God Richly Bless You!

image.thumb.png.863dfa595aa6a564870174800756d790.png

Thee Will I Love.docx

To view a recording of today's Holy Mass, click here:  

Edited by Father Michael