We are all wondering when all this wind and rain will let up and we can get our electricity back. The short answer is, it will probably be with us through the weekend and might actually get worse late Sunday. We'll see!

It's great to see that TwoSailors posted a link to MeteoEarth, which is without doubt the most informative weather tool available to the general public. The web version is good, but the iPad app is much more sophisticated and developed. 

In any case, here is where we are today, windy and rain coming from the North:

IMG_3736.thumb.PNG.15c13db54da8effe6d58a

The forecast shows the storm peaking around Sunday night:

Notice that the winds are coming from the North and I have set the level for 5000 feet, which is where we live. 

IMG_3737.thumb.PNG.4e725b3487fd3d5c1c5eb

And by Monday, the winds abating:

IMG_3738.thumb.PNG.66dba6d4627fee710b220

• Upvote 1

I agree about MeteoEarth, Mark.  It is a great weather tool for the general public. 

In trying to look for some details about that general forecast, I see a strong pressure gradient with higher barometric pressure in the northern Caribbean and a low pressure region near Columbia, but no evidence of anything that could be called a "storm." 

It appears that the cause of our persistent high winds is stronger than usual southern Caribbean trade winds enhanced by weather systems to the north.  The typical "dry season" orographic precipitation is being pushed over the Talamanca Mount Range from Bocas del Toro (the Bajareque mist/drizzle and wind), and it has been much stronger than usual lately.  That is what your map shows, and it matches the meteorology information sources that I use.  

Yesterday, on the other side of Volcan Baru, there was some heavy drizzle in Cerro Punta and Guadalupe - the lush green environment there is truly astounding.  However, it was dry and only a bit windy in Volcan.  

Back on our side of Volcan Baru, the drizzle seems to be reaching Brisas Boqueteñas in the morning, but was backing off to San Francisco Plaza at Palmira Road by afternoon when I drove back to Boquete a couple of times this week. 

This is my 5th "dry and windy" season in Boquete, and the past couple of weeks seems to be windier and rainier than I remember during the past four years.  I have a feeling that Alto Quiel, Palo Alto and Jaramillo are getting pretty wet, and I know that coffee growers - the smaller operations that don't have mechanical dryers - are taking their beans down the hill for outdoor drying

But the morning rainbows towards Volcan Baru, and evening rainbows towards Jaramillo are gorgeous every day. 

Edited by David van Harn
clarification
  • Upvote 1