I want to separate this issue from the post in which it was raised, the Alto al Crimen announcement of the appointment of Franc Lugo as its emergency operator, because it would have more widespread implications.

Penny posits that if one is hired as an independent contractor, there is no requirement that that person have a work visa. I don't believe this is true. I understand that the employer is relieved of having to pay seguro social for an independent contractor, but I have never understood this to mean that a visa to work in Panama would not be required.

Does anyone have any information to add to this?

• Administrators

Bonnie,

Thank you for handling this topic as you did. Rather than going "off-topic", you linked the two together, but now have two separate topics going. Good job!

For the curious, the other topic is a recent Alto al Crimen announcement of Franc Lugo coming aboard that group. See http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/968-alto-al-crimen-news-release/?do=findComment&comment=3482