Colombian president’s son arrested for alleged money laundering

• Moderators

Colombian president’s son arrested  for alleged money laundering

petro.jpg

Posted 29/07/2023

Nicolás Petro, the eldest son of Colombian President Gustavo Petro, was arrested by order of the Colombian Prosecutor's Office for the alleged crimes of money laundering and illicit enrichment.

The Prosecutor's Office also requested the capture of Nicolás Petro's ex-partner, Day Vásquez, for money laundering, violation of personal data.

"The Office of the Attorney General informed that on July 29, at around 6:00 a.m., in compliance with the provisions of the 16th Municipal Criminal Court with the Function of Guarantee Control of Bogotá, the arrest warrants issued against Nicolás Fernando Petro Burgos (...) and Daysuris del Carmen Vásquez Castro (...) for events that occurred from 2022 to date," the entity said in a statement.

Petro and Vásquez will be placed at the disposal of a municipal criminal judge with a function of guarantee control, who will be asked to impart legality to the search, capture, and seizure procedures of material elements of evidence.

In response to this arrest, the Colombian president has published a message on the social network X, formerly known as Twitter, in which he acknowledges that "so much self-destruction hurts me a lot and the fact that one of my sons goes to jail."

He assures that the Prosecutor's Office will have "all the guarantees on my part to proceed in accordance with the law." “As I stated before the attorney general, I will not intervene or pressure his decisions; let the law freely guide the process ”.

“I wish my son luck and strength. May these events forge his character and may he reflect on his own mistakes, ”said the Colombian president.

On March 21, the Prosecutor's Office announced that it was criminally investigating Nicolás Petro for his alleged meetings with drug traffickers in prison and for "possible money laundering."

The Malboro Man
The ex-wife of Petro's son assured at the beginning of that month in an interview with Semana magazine that the drug trafficker Samuel Santander Lopesierra, alias "the Marlboro man", gave Nicolás Petro "more than 600 million pesos (about $153,000) for his father’s campaign.

"That never reached the campaign legally because he kept that money, and so did others," added the woman, who mentioned that Nicolás Petro also received 200 million pesos (about $51,000) from the controversial businessman Alfonso Turco Hilsaca, which also did not go to the campaign.

Colombian president’s son arrested  for alleged money laundering

Nicolás Petro, the eldest son of Colombian President Gustavo Petro, was arrested by order of the Colombian Prosecutor's Office for the alleged crimes of money laundering and illicit enrichment.

The Prosecutor's Office also requested the capture of Nicolás Petro's ex-partner, Day Vásquez, for money laundering, violation of personal data.

"The Office of the Attorney General  informed that on July 29, at around 6:00 a.m., in compliance with the provisions of the 16th Municipal Criminal Court with the Function of Guarantee Control of Bogotá, the arrest warrants issued against Nicolás Fernando Petro Burgos (...) and Daysuris del Carmen Vásquez Castro (...) for events that occurred from 2022 to date," the entity said in a statement.

Petro and Vásquez will be placed at the disposal of a municipal criminal judge with a function of guarantee control, who will be asked to impart legality to the search, capture and seizure procedures of material elements of evidence.

In response to this arrest, the Colombian president has published a message on the social network X, formerly known as Twitter, in which he acknowledges that "so much self-destruction hurts me a lot and the fact that one of my sons goes to jail."

He assures that the Prosecutor's Office will have "all the guarantees on my part to proceed in accordance with the law." “As I stated before the attorney general, I will not intervene or pressure his decisions; let the law freely guide the process ”.

“I wish my son luck and strength. May these events forge his character and may he reflect on his own mistakes, ”said the Colombian president.

On March 21, the Prosecutor's Office announced that it was criminally investigating Nicolás Petro for his alleged meetings with drug traffickers in prison and for "possible money laundering."

The ex-wife of Petro's son assured at the beginning of that month in an interview with Semana magazine that the drug trafficker Samuel Santander Lopesierra, alias "the Marlboro man", gave Nicolás Petro "more than 600 million pesos (about $153,000) for his father’s campaign.

"That never reached the campaign legally because he kept that money, and so did others," added the woman, who mentioned that Nicolás Petro also received 200 million pesos (about $51,000) from the controversial businessman Alfonso Turco Hilsaca , which  also did not go to the campaign..

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/colombian-presidents-son-arrested-for-alleged-money-laundering