Vice mayor resigns over “arbitrary“ boss

• Moderators

Vice mayor resigns  over “arbitrary“ boss

meana-2.jpg

Meana and Fabregea in happier times.

Posted 08/02/2023

Panama’s vice mayor, Judy Meana, has presented her resignation to the city’s often controversial, mayor  José Luis Fábrega, whom she accuses of being arbitrary.

"After analyzing in-depth this decision that I communicate here, you must be clear that this resignation from my position as vice mayor of Panama City for the period 2019-2024, only shows my deep disagreement with your arbitrary practice in making decisions, which puts the credibility of his government management at risk, approaching the dangerous abyss of injustice that causes discomfort in the city's population says part of the resignation letter.

Meana emphasizes that she was always willing to seek solutions, even in the face of the most severe crises that she had to face due to the decisions that Fábrega made as mayor of the city, and that these functions "you have confused with signs of autocracy."

"Managing your running mate without any kind of consultation, transforming the one-person decisions that you have carried out into arbitrariness," adds Meana.

Meana's decision comes at a time when the Municipality of Panama is questioned by various sectors for the approval of the measure to increase municipal taxes.

Former journalist ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Meana who served briefly as Governor of Panama before returning to City Hall has mused in the past about joining the crowded field in a run for the presidency.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/vice-mayor-resigns-over-arbitrary-boss

• Moderators

Tax increase sparked deputy mayor’s resignation

judy.jpg

Posted 16/02/2023

Former Panama deputy mayor Judy Meana  who resigned last week, describing  Mayor José Luis Fábrega as “ arbitrary”  revealed Thursday"the straw that broke the camel's back."

She said that during her management several situations arose, but there was one that made her leave the position. “I agree with the beach project, the seafood market, but I don't agree with the tax increase,” she said.

According to Meana, the Panama City Hall, led by Fabrega, should focus going forward on "contact with the people."

In her opinion, her resignation from the post announced on February 8 "is a wake-up call: you have to listen to people."

When she questioned why she left her running mate a year and a half before her term ended, she replied "one position must be fulfilled professionally."

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/tax-increase-sparked-deputy-mayors-resignation-1