33 tuberculosis cases in Metro region

• Moderators

33 tuberculosis  cases in Metro region

Posted 21/03/2022

TB and HIV  may have disappeared from the radar as the covid pandemic has raged but at least 33 cases of tuberculosis, the majority in male patients between 25 and 49 years old, have been registered by the Metropolitan Health Region so far in 2022.

According to the data provided by the authorities, the confirmed cases were detected in Tocumen, Las Garzas, December 24, Las Mañanitas, Calidonia, Chorrillo, Curundú, Río Abajo, Betania, Pueblo Nuevo, Bella Vista, Ancon, Juan Diaz and Pedregal.

On Monday,  March  21 the World Health Organization (WHO) warned that the economic resources that are being allocated in the world for the fight against tuberculosis are insufficient. It is claimed that this was aggravated by the pandemic.

"Urgent investments are needed to develop and expand access to the most innovative services and instruments to prevent, detect and treat tuberculosis," said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director of the WHO, according to a report by the AFP agency.

On the other hand, the Health region of the metropolitan area reported that this year they have detected 57 cases of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).

It is specified that one of these cases is a pregnant patient, also 11 cases of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) are confirmed.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/health/33-tuberculosis-cases-in-metro-region

I have had to had many vaccines in my life, due to living overseas as a child..  These vaccines were given close together.  Cholera, Hepatitis,  typhoid, and now 3 Covid  ....  

My entire family,  and many of my other old friends from Africa and the Middle East, all now show positive skin tests.  The CDC has quietly changed its testing guidelines for TB.  The skin test is no longer considered the best test, only the blood test, and follow up with chest X-ray. 

I'm not saying these people don't have TB. I'm asking how Panama is testing for it.   As I say, amid Covid. The CDC recommendation to stop using the time test, skin test, went largely unheard.