City Mall grand opening May 24th

• 3 weeks later...

We stopped in this three level store today and were amazed!  It is a mashup of Ahorra, Conway and Super Baru with an array of additional merchandise that you may need and much that you might not.  There are higher end clothing labels available such as Columbia, Izod and Italian makers. A huge selection of shoes, sporting goods, electronics, toys, jewelry, watches, home decor, kitchen and bath, a very large pharmacy and health and beauty area, and the grocery section is as large, if not larger than Price Smart.  I found many American label foods at reasonable prices and items that are hard to find (or stock that is seldom replenished) like Blue Diamond brand Almond Milk, Ghirardelli dark chocolate and dill pickle relish.  The fresh meat and fish section is very big as is the veggie and fruit selection.  All prices seem to be on par with Baru or Price Smart although some are higher, some are lower.

The feel is what a department store used to be in the U.S.   The place was jammed today with shoppers taking advantage of many ofertas and live entertainment outside in the front parking lot.  We will definitely make this a stop when we schedule our Price Smart visits.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Really great store. We went just to look around and wound up buying travel stuff; two certified airline cabin bags,Nautica paid $170 (worth $560), a jacket paid $32 (worth $100) and some food. Eggs $1.09, cheeses are cheaper and many varieties. In the chest type freezer they had nice american steaks frozen. They have enough cashiers working that the wait time is nothing compared to other stores. So far for me, this store beats all the prices on name brand goods and groceries. Great location----PriceSmart and City Mall close to each other.

Went to City Mall yesterday on a recce mission.  After spending $75 in the grocery section (no meat or alcohol) I have to report we were impressed.  Large, clean store, attentive staff, short check-out lines ( There are check outs on both sides of the store).  Jocie, who is the grocery price checker, said that pretty much all of the prices were 30-60 cents less per item than at Baru or Rey.  I was looking at 2 things in particular - toilet paper and kitty litter, as these are expensive at other stores.  Good products available, and at prices comparable to, or less than PriceSmart.  My PS “membership” is due in June, I suspect I will not be renewing.  Only glanced at the upper floors but looked like a good selection of higher end clothing and furniture.  They even have woodworking tools at reasonable prices.  All in all, a great new addition to David and one that is going to threaten the stranglehold PS, Rey, Baru and 99 have on the consumer dollar. Worth the trip. 

• Upvote 1