• Moderators

Six Offers for Road Works for $49 million

MECO, Constructora Urbana and Bagatrac are three of the companies that submitted their proposals in the tender to build 80 kilometers of roads in Chiriqui, Panama.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Also taking part in the tender with a reference value of $49 million, are the consortiums Caminos de David (ININCO S.A. and Construcciones Civiles and Concretos de Panamá S.A.), Vias y Puentes del Istmo (Empresa Constructora CUMO and China Railway International Group Panama) and Calles de David (CENTRAL MIX S.A. and Conalvías Construcciones S.A.S. Panama branch).

From a statement issued by the Ministry of Public Works:

Six companies took part in the best value tender that the Ministry of Public Works (MOP) convened today for the project "Design and Construction for the Renovation of Streets and Roads in the District of David, whose reference price was $24.3 million, for the first line and $24.7 million for the second.

The proposing companies for line # 1 were: 

• Consorcio Caminos de David (ININCO S.A. and Construcciones Civiles and Concretos de Panamá S.A.) who proposed the sum of B / .25,507,714.30.
  • Consorcio de Vías y Puentes del Istmo (CONVÍAS) (Empresa Constructora  CUMO and China Railway International Group Panama with an offer of B / .24,341,651.00
  • Consorcio Calles de David (CENTRAL MIX S.A. and Conalvías Construcciones S.A.S. Panama branch) with an offer of B / .26,646,347.32.
  • Constructora Urbana S.A. (CUSA) with a proposal of B / .26,569,170.00.
  • Constructora MECO S.A. with an amount of B / .23,950,144.11.
  • BAGATRAC S.A. with a proposal of B / .24,689,174.28.

For Line # 2 the companies offered: 

• Consorcio Calles de David (NINCO S.A. and Constructora NFL S.A.) with a proposal of B / .25,714,030.28
  • Consorcio de Vías y Puentes del Istmo (CONVÍAS) (Empresa Constructora CUMO and China Railway International Group Panama with an offer of B / .24,762,333.88
  • Consorcio Calles de David (CENTRAL MIX S.A. and Conalvías Construcciones S.A.S. Panama branch) with an amount of B / .27,080,605.82
  • Constructora Urbana S.A.(CUSA) with B / .26,910,500.00  
  • onstructora MECO S.A. with a proposal of B / .24,243,209.87.

The project consists of a total approximate length of 80.30 kilometers and will benefit more than 140 thousand inhabitants. 

Line # 1, with an approximate length of 39.5 kilometers, includes the town of Bijagual where 6.98 km will be built, the town of Cochea that will include 10.1 km, San Pablo Viejo with 19.41 km, San Carlos which will include 9.85 km and the town of Guacá with 4.05 km.

Line # 2, with an approximate length of 40.80 kilometers, includes the towns of San Pablo Nuevo, where 7.45 km will be built, Pedregal 5.28 km, Chiriquí 4.85 km and David 20.58 km.

The project includes the renovation and construction of more than fifty streets and roads and involves studies, topographic surveys, final pavement designs, storm drains, storm drains, vehicular bridge, road signs, relocation of public utilities; In addition, environmental studies and their mitigation measures.

https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Six_Offers_for_Road_Works_for_49_million

Stop signs are "advisory" worldwide. But at least they're there. There are countless intersections in David that have no stop sign. I know, I know, ALTO signs are often painted on the pavement, but they're less noticeable and gringos aren't used to them. Sometimes I feel like I take my life in my hands approaching any intersection in David. At that's one reason I don't venture into the town proper unless necessary.

Boy, I'm a grouch this week, aren't I? Must be all the rain and power outages!

16 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Sometimes I feel like I take my life in my hands approaching any intersection in David. At that's one reason I don't venture into the town proper unless necessary.

Getting in a car and driving anywhere in Panama means you are in jeopardy of a major increase in getting in an accident compared to a lot of other places. Speed needs to be put under much tighter controls.