Grubs? Nematodes?

Grubs are destroying my organic sweet potatoes! The grubs are way beneath the surface of the ground. Online research indicates that nematodes will kill grubs. Does anyone know if nematodes are available locally? I am hesitant to order them online because I question whether the live nematodes would survive the time and heat between arrival in Miami and then sent to Panama via my package forwarding service.  I'll appreciate any ideas! Thank you!

Dottie

I will suggest to talk with the people of the MIDA or any other farmer about the best and healthy way to solve this problem you had.  I could be possible to find those nematodes available locally.  

Bringing live stuff to Panama is very difficult and has a lot of paperwork to do in advance before importing them.  You will have to go up and down stairs and office to get the approval.  It is a mess.    

Talk to other "colleagues" that have crops similar to yours, visit government agricultural agencies for advise and also as a last chance visit some agricultural stores like MELO but tell them you dont want chemicals or something like that and that you are looking for healthy solutions.

• Upvote 1

Camote is the spanish term. IDIAP has a new variety that has improved resistance and nutrient level #C.90-17. I am hoping these are available at the local IDIAP. Got this info from Sept 15 issue of La Prensa. There are good and bad nematodes. They are microscopic. My personal experience is... I have grubs and my sweet potatoes are almost all affected but not penetrated so I harvest,remove bad sections, cook, bag, freeze. My organic efforts usually produce visually imperfect  products. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! And would you please explain "good and bad" nematodes if you can? Just in the last few months have my sweet potatoes been attacked by grubs. What I've been doing lately is to wrap them in foil, bake, and then remove the bad sections, then freeze. But I'd sure like to get rid of the grubs!

I just googled nematodes to see what the difference is.  Some are beneficial, and some eat the roots of plants.  You can't use just any nematodes on your garden.  Naturally occurring bad ones are found in the soil here.  A friend had trouble with them in her garden.  I don't know if we also have good ones.