How to set up RSS feed

Pantah

Question

4 answers to this question

• Administrators

Thanks for your inquiry. Glad to see some members getting to this level of technical sophistication.

I have delayed answering your question because I was waiting for a response from the software gurus at our service provider. I now have that response, and it is not good news for Thunderbird users.

For those who may not know, RSS (one version of the name is that this is an acronym for "Really Simple Syndication") is a protocol that allows information sources (such as this website) to send links to an RSS "reader" so that the end user gets all of their new "news" in a single place. This is commonly used for things like newspaper websites sending out breaking news, etc. CL has the ability to send out RSS feeds to readers for things such as the activity stream. We presume that is why you wish to use RSS.

Like you, we also use Thunderbird as our email client (along with iPads, but that is a different story). I had not tested RSS feeds from CL being received by Thunderbird, and so when I first saw your question, I did a trial run. It did NOT work. I tried everything I could to make it work. No joy. And so I submitted a trouble ticket to our application service provider. Their response came in mid-morning today. Their response is that they too tested the RSS feeds, not only with Thunderbird but also other RSS readers. The RSS feeds from their software work well with all of the RSS readers they tested, except Thunderbird. They did a bit of diagnosis, and concluded that the issue is a fault with Thunderbird's implementation of the RSS (and ATOM) specifications.

Sorry to report Pantah, that you will not be able to use the RSS feeds from CL with Thunderbird as your client, unless and until Thunderbird fixes its software application. You might use some other RSS reader if this is really important.

Wish I had better news, but we are in the habit of telling the truth rather than otherwise. If I learn of a fix or workaround I will post it here for all to see.

Thanks again for your use of CL, and if you have more questions, just ask.

• Administrators

I am not a Yahoo user, so I have no first hand experience with it. However, I did a Google search using "rss reader for yahoo mail" as the search argument and came up with lots of information. Some of it suggests that Yahoo Mail has a beta version which does support RSS feeds, and other responses to the search suggest that Yahoo Mail does now have a built-in RSS reader capability. And then there is reference to using "feedly" as a kind of universal RSS reader because it is cross-platform capable.

If I were to provide more detailed guidance then it is likely I would mess up your system. Given that there are so many options, I suggest that you conduct a similar search and pick a solution that best fits your needs and equipment suite.

• Administrators

Apologies, but I forgot to provide you with a critical piece of information in the above posting. You need a URL to plug into your RSS reader. You get that by right-clicking on the RSS icon on this website. Depending on the browser that you use, the operative choice will be worded slightly differently. For Firefox, it will be the option "Copy link location".

I have never been able to right-click using a tablet or mobile device, so I guess I am also saying that you will have to use a desktop device in order to get all of the necessary information to load into your RSS reader.