Boquete Resident and Former President Ernesto Perez Balladares ("El Toro") Remains Politically Active

Recent Twitter communications between ex-Presidents Ricardo Martinelli and Ernesto Pérez Balladares regarding control of the National Assembly have concerned some people.

Former President Ernesto Pérez Balladares, known as El Toro or The Bull, has a residence in Boquete.

Perhaps Roger could comment on this topic.

Former presidents exchange twitter messages

Former presidents Ernesto Pérez Balladares and Ricardo Martinelli exchanged several messages on Twitter yesterday, after PRD deputy Elias Castillo denounced both before the National Assembly.

Martinelli said that the country lacked "justice and due process" while Perez Balladares said "if the capacity for dialogue is lost, bullets talk."

The remarks of Castillo were made about the upcoming legislative election on July 1.

Intercambio en Twitter Expandir Imagen Intercambio en Twitter

Well.  This is strange.  The relationship between Martinelli and Perez Balladares were not good.  Nothing at all.   I will review the tweeter about this subject and will come with more comments.   Looks like they both coincide that the current situation of the actual government is not good.  

• 4 weeks later...

Perez Balladares rejoins political scrum

Posted on July 10, 2016 in Panama

Ernesto-Perez-Balladares-Presidencia-Pan
Ernesto Perez Balladares
Post Views: 99

FORMER PRESIDENT Ernesto Perez “El Toro” Balladares  is ready to climb back into the political arena  with his eyes hovering on the possibility of  another run for the top job,

He intends to register as a candidate for the post of secretary general of the PRD party on Monday, July 11.

Perez Balladares will run as part of a ticket with current PRD President Benicio Robinson, current Secretary General Carlos Pérez Herrera, who will be running for first vice president, and Alí Waked, who will run for secretary.

The nomination period opens Monday and ends Friday. The election will be Oct. 30, when 4,200 party delegates will choose the new members of the executive committee.

The election to select delegates will be July 31.

Current legislative members Elías Castillo, Leandro Avila, Ruben De Leon and Pedro Miguel González are likely to also seek positions on the executive committee.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/perez-balladares-rejoins-political-scrum

• 8 months later...

International Day of the Pensioner was celebrated in Boquete today with a hike around town led by Dr.Chen.

On March 30, THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE PENSIONER AND THE PENSIONER

In the framework of the celebration of the International Day of the Retiree and Pensioner, members of this sector of the district of Boquete undertook a major hike along the main roads of the district in the early hours of the morning this Thursday 30 March.

Dr. Ricardo Chen, Program Coordinator of the Third Age of the Social Security Policlinic Dr. Ernesto Pérez Balladares (Father), stated that this first activity seeks to highlight the importance of this sector and their contributions to our district.

Added Chen that this hike also seeks that the members of this group have a better quality of life and, above all, that the community know that there is in the district of Boquete, an association of retirees and pensioners.

The group of retirees and pensioners in Boquete brings together approximately 50 active members and the activity seeks to project the group and promote the informative talks and trainings for the members of this important sector within the district.

Public Relations Department

• 5 months later...

Boqueteño for President?

Former President Ernesto Perez Balladares, aka 'El Toro', who resides in Boquete, may be tossing his hat in the ring for the 2019 Presidential elections. He made a speech yesterday lamenting the direction that the country's institutions seem to be taking.

344834_800x600_crop_59adafd08e6ad.jpeg.8af13c3dd5db57ba14dbe1991167d9e3.jpeg

http://laestrella.com.pa/panama/nacional/preocupa-camino-institucionalidad-este-pais-perez-balladares/24020990

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Pérez Balladares makes himself available for transition and deep reform in Panama

Sun, 06/10/2018 - 22:36

balladares2.jpg

In Panama, "things are not working" and reforms are needed that encompass the Parliament, the Supreme Court and the Presidency to prevent the country from derailing, said former President Ernesto Pérez Balladares (1994-1999), who is making himself available for a transition government that consolidates these institutional changes.

In an interview with Acan-Efe, the former head of state, who is weighing the possibility of running for the presidential candidacy of the Democratic Revolutionary Party (PRD) ahead of the 2019 elections, warns that Panama is a dangerous "breeding ground" "that is evidenced in the continuous claims of citizenship and in the confrontation between the state branches.

This can lead the country to opt for some messiah with unpredictable consequences, or perhaps not so much if we look at what has happened, for example in Venezuela.

Faced with this scenario, Pérez Balladares, a coffee grower who exports 100 percent of his farm's production located in the western province of Chiriquí to Japan and Australia, has proposed to his divided party to consider "institutional changes as an objective" and engage with that goal in a social dialogue.

His eventual presidential candidacy would bear that standard, and if he takes office in 2019, his Government would be "a kind of transition to leave a legacy of a new institutionality" in Panama because, he said, does not intend to sit for 5 years in the chair of the palace of Las Garzas.

The reforms can be made, he explained, following the mechanism established by the current Constitution, in "a period of 2 or 3 years, to then convene an election with the new institutionality".

"The deputies may stay in office until the end of the period, but convening a new election for president and vice president in which I would not participate," said the 71-year-old former president.

On the method for reforms, he said he likes the experience of "1983: a commission is appointed to reform, which proposes (the constitutional changes), an Assembly that approves and a referendum that consults and, if it goes well, it is adopted".

The presidential re-election would not be included in the changes that would drive his hypothetical second government, "that was a long-overdue issue," said Perez Balladares, who as president unsuccessfully promoted that initiative.

The reforms that must be undertaken in Panama include changing the structure of the National Assembly (AN), of 71 seats, to leave behind the deputies elected by circuits and go to provincial or national deputies.

According to Pérez Balladares, the model of the circuit deputy has promoted cronyism and the "waste and misuse of public funds" in Parliament, an institution that right now is in the eye of the hurricane due to the handling of its growing budget, which, as the former president recalled, is approved by the Executive.

It is also necessary to "look for a different mechanism to appoint the magistrates of the Supreme Court of Justice", by the Executive and must be ratified by the Parliament, and it is necessary to "take away some power from the Presidency of the Republic" added Pérez Balladares.

He said that one way of taking away power from the Presidency would be, "for example, that the power be given to the Assembly to give a vote of no confidence, which would create a crisis in the government and allow elections to be called".

"We must look for mechanisms of separation of powers and that they lead to a harmonious collaboration between them without the overweight of the executive power," he said.

Panama must also promote the relegated agriculture subjecting it to a technological adaptation and exploiting specific niches, leaving behind the extensive livestock farming, and promoting the development of tourism with public-private investments.

"We must make an effort" to promote changes, before which the human being has a natural resistance, because "leaving things as they are leads us to an abyss that is not known where it will end," said the "Toro" Pérez Balladares, as the former president is known in Panamanian politics.

Giovanna Ferullo

http://www.panamatoday.com/panama/perez-balladares-makes-himself-available-transition-and-deep-reform-panama-7029

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

The $30,000 trophy of “Dr Merengue”

leopardj.jpeg

Posted 17/07/2021

The photo of the inert body of a leopard, just hunted with a rifle equipped with a telescopic sight, next to which former president Ernesto Pérez Balladares poses, has caused an angry response from those who have commented on the post, according to the former president, who uploaded the photograph showing the macabre spectacle.

Pérez Balladares answered the matter with arguments - as idiotic as the size of his ego - that have been easily destroyed by netizens, who have not spared the offenses against the author of the no less offensive death of the feline.

“To those who have expressed so much hatred: I hope they do not accept fishing or eat animal products. Eat hatred, envy and resentment, "says his tweet, by way of explanation, which said," I do not owe anyone, "although, anyway, he gave it. Perhaps the envy thing is because killing a leopard costs between $ 15,000 and $ 30,000; and if the hunt included an elephant, it would be necessary to add between $ 23,000 and $ 60,000. I suppose that so much money destined to kill animals, whose population is decimated because of legal and illegal hunting, is for him a cause for envy.

In the comments that I have read in response to the explanation that, according to this man, he does not owe anyone, it must be said that there was resentment and even hatred, but not for his reasons. It was not because he has the money to pay for these eccentricities, but because of the fact of having killed the leopard, which, surely, will have undergone a taxidermy process that will allow him to show his head as a trophy in his hunting room, where there are several other heads of wild animals, killed in their periodic "hunts."

In April 2010, relatives of the former president said that he had paid $ 45,000 to participate in something that hunters call a "big five " in Africa, which is nothing more than hunting a lion, a leopard, a rhinoceros, an elephant and a buffalo. He probably did not participate in the safari for legal reasons, but we see that he has returned to being the riflescope hunter that he likes to be.

And before you tell me that I am writing this because I am also envious of you, I will go ahead by answering you that, like many of those who answered you, such a statement —if you do so— is not true. I have nothing to envy him, because nothing he has or is provokes me. I have no love for someone else's money; I don't like narcissism or arrogance either. If, in addition to this, I had something else to offer as a human being, perhaps I would be envious of the good.

On the other hand, I believe that the envy is part of his being. I have a sister with several master's degrees and I have never heard her claim the title of doctor. And I agree with one of the people who responded to him in networks, that surely, due to the fact that he would no longer run for public office, he is now showing us his other side —and true—, in which case, yes The title of doctor comes in handy, that of Doctor Merengue.- Rolando Rodríguez B. Spicy Saturday.LA PRENSA

https://www.newsroompanama.com/opinion/the-30000-trophy-of-dr-merengue

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Boquete Resident and Former President Ernesto Perez Balladares ("El Toro") Remains Politically Active