Enhanced Reputation ("Like" and "Dislike") Functionality Here on CL 07/24/2017

For the record.

I do not care for the latest upgrade to CL.  The enhanced reputation (including a name change to "reactions") claims to make CL more like facebook.

The "Like" and the "Upvote" and the "Downvote" are essentially the same as the prior "like" and "dislike" reputation. Those are similar to what is available on some of the larger social media, such as Facebook.

Being more like facebook should not be a goal for a forum platform.  The goal of a forum should be to provide information, news, or events of interest to the members for discussion and reference. The main rating system should be: is it useful to me, or not useful to me.

IMHO, TMI, LOL, and AFAIK.

jim

14 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

My prediction is that the new ratings system will lead to animosity and detract from information sharing and earnest discussion.

My preference would be no ratings system at all for the same reasons as you Bonnie, but I'm happy with whatever the Admins decide.

Edited by Keith Woolford

32 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

I agree wholeheartedly with Jim on this one. My prediction is that the new ratings system will lead to animosity and detract from information sharing and earnest discussion.

Thanks, Bonnie.  My reactions would be:

faces.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks for the feedback.  Please keep it coming. 

We will reassess in the near future.

P.S., we are NOT trying to be like Facebook. Gosh no, never, no way José, The announcement only mentioned Facebook so that those who have no idea what reputation or reaction are here on CL could perhaps equate it to something like the Facebook "like" icon.

More feedback:  The way these icons are set up, if you don't want anything to do with them, they are easy to ignore.  If you want to keep them, let those who think they're useful click on them.  The rest of us can ignore them.  They are not obtrusive, just sitting quietly over there on the right side of the page.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

After a reasonable amount of time for the initial round of comments and feedback to come in, it is clear that there is no unanimous mindset about the enhanced user "reaction" functionality here on CL. Those that prefer no such functionality apparently feel passionately about removing that functionality totally. However, it does appear that the majority of the members either like it and want to keep it, or acknowledge that it is easy to ignore.

One of the reasons for wanting to keep the reaction functionality is that the "leaderboard" here on CL depends on those responses or reactions. CL management suspects that many (perhaps most?) of the CL members do not use, or perhaps are not even aware of the leaderboard. Go to http://www.chiriqui.life/leaderboard/ to see the leaderboard. There are several different kinds of displays that provide various views into the use of CL, and its member contributions.

The bottom line here is that CL management has decided to keep the reaction functionality. There are three key factors behind this decision: (a) sufficient member support as expressed either verbally or in writing (public postings, PMs, and emails), (b) through the continued use of that functionality, and (c) the simple fact that reactions are totally optional, and very easy to ignore in the bottom right corner of the postings.

We are still struggling with the idea of removing the "like" button (that would make WryAwry happy).

More feedback solicited.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Your writing usually is crystal clear, Bud, but I don't know what you mean in (b), above ("through the continued use of that functionality"). Can you explain further, please?

Sorry that my writing was not crystal clear; that is always a personal goal.

My words were to mean that CL members are using the reaction functionality, which tells me that there is perceived value and interest on the part of CL members. Just look at this topic alone, and you will see three members (other than CL management) reacting to various postings in this topic.