Pharmacies and Prescription Drugs

Bonnie

It has been my month for frustration with businesses. I take a heart medication daily that has been unavailable in Boquete for a couple of months although finally one pharmacy did come up with a generic. Yesterday, I left the doctor's office with two prescriptions for a sinus infection: an antibiotic and a decongestant. I went to Romero, Revilla, and Any's without luck. Finally, I went to Danko. They had both PLUS my heart medication. I note that Danko is owned and operated by a Chinese family. Adding this experience to those I've had at Ivan and Alto Dorado, I've concluded that the Chinese are far superior business people when it comes to inventory, whatever the business.

• Upvote 1

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Pharmacies and Prescription Drugs

Danka refused to fill my prescription for heart medication 2.5 years ago and I ended up using Avilla instead.  My medication is a common one, atenalol, and can be found at most pharmacies.  They were not even nice about refusing me.

Edited by MarieElaine

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

It has been my month for frustration with businesses. I take a heart medication daily that has been unavailable in Boquete for a couple of months although finally one pharmacy did come up with a generic. Yesterday, I left the doctor's office with two prescriptions for a sinus infection: an antibiotic and a decongestant. I went to Romero, Revilla, and Any's without luck. Finally, I went to Danko. They had both PLUS my heart medication. I note that Danko is owned and operated by a Chinese family. Adding this experience to those I've had at Ivan and Alto Dorado, I've concluded that the Chinese are far superior business people when it comes to inventory, whatever the business.

Yes, almost always.

danka.jpg

1 hour ago, MarieElaine said:

Danka refused to fill my prescription for heart medication 2.5 years ago and I ended up using Avilla instead.  My medication is a common one, atenalol, and can be found at most pharmacies.  They were not even nice about refusing me.

Is Avilla a pharmacy? I've tried to get Flovent at Any, Revilla, and Danka. No go. I have to go to Rey in David to get them. 

6 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

Is Avilla a pharmacy? I've tried to get Flovent at Any, Revilla, and Danka. No go. I have to go to Rey in David to get them. 

Why don't you try another asthma medication?  Many brands are not available here, and you have to substitute.  My cat was asthmatic, and I got Ventolin and Beclate here, which worked.  Fortunately, he only had a couple of attacks after we moved to Boquete.  The climate here (and lack of dust mites - no carpeting) must agree with him.  He hasn't had an attack in 12 years.

11 hours ago, JudyS said:

Why don't you try another asthma medication?  Many brands are not available here, and you have to substitute.  My cat was asthmatic, and I got Ventolin and Beclate here, which worked.  Fortunately, he only had a couple of attacks after we moved to Boquete.  The climate here (and lack of dust mites - no carpeting) must agree with him.  He hasn't had an attack in 12 years.

Thanks Judy! I do use Ventolin as a rescue inhaler but he needs the Flovent daily or he goes right back into having severe attacks. I have not tried Beclate however, so I'll research it. Thanks for recommending! He's come close to dying a few times over the years, poor buddy. I'd really miss the weirdo :(

Edited by Jim and Judi

1 hour ago, Jim and Judi said:

Thanks Judy! I do use Ventolin as a rescue inhaler but he needs the Flovent daily or he goes right back into having severe attacks. I have not tried Beclate however, so I'll research it. Thanks for recommending! He's come close to dying a few times over the years, poor buddy. I'd really miss the weirdo :(

My cat almost died a couple of times from asthma and bronchitis when we lived in Seattle.  It was a great relief when that went away when we moved to Boquete.  I'm sorry Boquete didn't have the same effect on your cat.  Another option, daily doses, or every other day doses, of prednisone (or prednisilone) to keep the asthma at bay.  It isn't as hard on cats as it is on people.  Experiment with the lowest dose that is effective.  That is available here, and it's cheap.  That worked for my cat.

1 hour ago, JudyS said:

My cat almost died a couple of times from asthma and bronchitis when we lived in Seattle.  It was a great relief when that went away when we moved to Boquete.  I'm sorry Boquete didn't have the same effect on your cat.  Another option, daily doses, or every other day doses, of prednisone (or prednisilone) to keep the asthma at bay.  It isn't as hard on cats as it is on people.  Experiment with the lowest dose that is effective.  That is available here, and it's cheap.  That worked for my cat.

Thanks again Judy. We do keep pred on hand for when he's particularly bad. I've never known anyone else who had an asthmatic cat!

3 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

Thanks again Judy. We do keep pred on hand for when he's particularly bad. I've never known anyone else who had an asthmatic cat!

I used the prednisone preventatively.  As long as I kept him on it, he wouldn't have attacks.  If you decide to take the cat off of it later, it has to be withdrawn gradually, not all at once.  It's worth a try, poor kitty.

• Upvote 1