BCP Tuesday talks - Nov. 24

NewsLady

564f117b619f2_BCPLogo.jpg.c42e07d1cebbf1

Your $1 admission helps us keep the doors open

Our Meeting Schedule – 10:30 in the BCP Theater

panama.jpg.e4b827c3c662ff495e353ee222bce

Tuesday, Nov. 24Penny Ripple presents “Trips around Panama”. Penny has assembled a panel of experts with knowledge about different destinations to explore in Panama:

Amy Bennett - Portebelo Tours - Portebelo & Isla Grande

Debbie Fishell - Visit Puerto Aurmelles - Puerto Aurmelles & Frontera

Patricio Ortiz - Bocas del Toro, Taboga, Contadora

Penny Ripple - San Blas, Boca Chica, Volcan/Cerro Punta, El Valle/Coronado

Tuesday, Dec. 1 Kevin Reilly talks about the health benefits of Tai Chi. He has more than 30 years of experience in Martial Arts and has been teaching Tai Chi here in Boquete and David for the past 2 years.  He will talk a little about Tai Chi . . . he and his students will demonstrate the most practiced form in the world. . .and there will be time for questions and discussion.

Tuesday, Dec. 8 Thomas McCormack speaks on Panamanian myths, folklore, legends, and wives’ tales..

Tuesday, Dec. 15 -- Elizabeth Farrell de Rios presents "A Caffeinated History of Boquete"

Tuesday, Dec. 22Travis Taliaferro, owner of Panama’s number one drone company tells us all about drones.  www.thepanamadrones.com

Tuesday, Dec. 29Darrell Eash presents Camels & Chameleons (Learning to Thrive in a New Culture). Understanding and appreciating the differences between Latinos and Gringos. How to adapt to and succeed in a culture and language different from your own.

Tuesday, Jan 5LAST WILLS AND LIVING WILLS. Hospice hosts  Lourdes Miranda and Juan Contreras from the  Boquete law offices of Miranda and Contreras speaking on Last Wills and Living Wills.  

Tuesday, Jan. 12 – Jose Arias of Memorial Group will talk about the new private cemetery and crematorium service in David. Memorial Group has a 15 year history in Panama offering burial, funeral, memorial, and crematory services.

Tuesday, Jan. 19 Lloyd Cripe the founder and operator of www.Boqueteweather.com will give a talk entitled:  Boquete Weather: Things are changing.  He will review the history of the weather station and the development of the website.  Data will be presented demonstrating the changes in weather over the course of 8 years.  The most likely causes will be presented as well as the challenges of the future.  This is the third presentation he has given over the course of 10 years of living here.  Come and see what he has learned.

Tuesday, Jan. 26 – Rainelda Mata-Kelly, locally famous attorney from Panama City. .

To suggest a speaker or topic for these meetings please email BCP Tuesday Meeting

To become a vendor at the Tuesday market, email Elena Serracin

Today’s presentation at the BCP Tuesday talks was the culmination of much planning and work by Penny Ripple and her team.

The speakers came from all over Panama; two of them rode the bus all night from Portebello arriving in Boquete (3 buses later) at 6 AM.

It took a lot of work to put together the excellent slide show.

What in the world motivates you people to stand up and start talking and heading to the exits about 10 minutes before the presentation is over.

Did you not know the speaker was still trying to speak?  This is unbelievable rudeness and I’m ashamed of all of you.

I am the person responsible for getting great programs and great speakers into the BCP meetings and it’s no easy task.  In the future, if you can’t stay to the end and give the presenters some respect, please don’t come.

And, if you’re going to stand in the doorway blocking it while you argue about the $1 admission fee, please also don’t come.

Penny Barrett

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The other very irritating thing was that folks left their garbage scattered about in the theater. Empty coffee cups, food wrappers, etc.

I don't think most people realize that BCP doesn't own the facility and has to pay rent plus utilities plus maintenance (including cleaning). These expenses are substantial. Believe me BCP isn't getting rich on the $1 per person charged for the Tuesday talks.

It seems that the early residents established all of the wonderful community support systems and the new residents just take them for granted and expect them as a right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Penny said:

The other very irritating thing was that folks left their garbage scattered about in the theater. Empty coffee cups, food wrappers, etc.

I don't think most people realize that BCP doesn't own the facility and has to pay rent plus utilities plus maintenance (including cleaning). These expenses are substantial. Believe me BCP isn't getting rich on the $1 per person charged for the Tuesday talks.

It seems that the early residents established all of the wonderful community support systems and the new residents just take them for granted and expect them as a right.

My mother taught me to clean up my own messes. 

Maybe these rude, garbage scattering people will move to one of the places mentioned in "Trips around Panama" and leave Boquete.

Just could be these folks were part of the "free parking" crowd too.