This  was just posted on Chiriqui Chatter.  It appears that Don Ray and his wife are moving to the US and we are losing one of the areas most kindhearted and helpful men that the expat community has known.  This is truly sad news and a great loss for the community.   I wish Don and his wife Lilliam all the best.

---

The David Warden Position For the U.S. Embassy is Available

With this post I am announcing that the David Warden position for the U.S. Embassy in Panama is available to be filled.

Lilliam and I are going to move to the U.S.

I resigned my position as Warden effective today.

If you have an interest in filling this position, please email the America Citizen Services at the following email address (Panama-ACS@state.gov) and they will explain the duties and responsibilities.

I will no longer be posting the Embassy notices. I encourage you to sign up with STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) and you will receive all communications directly from the Embassy.

• Upvote 2

• Admin_01 changed the title to Another One Leaving Panama

I am well aware that not everyone was a Don Ray fan.   Most everyone has their detractors whether they admit it or not.  I am well aware of mine, they remind me often!

The bigger point here was that there is a large group of expats moving out of Panama.   While the short term residents are missed, it is the longer term residents that the community has come to rely on that will be the biggest impact.   I fear for the next expat that needs the type of help Marion Clamp and others received.     

As the saying goes, you do not know what you have until it is gone.  
Then again the optimist says: you don't know what you've been missing until it arrives.

Moving on...  appreciating what I have...  and waiting for what comes... 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

I am well aware that not everyone was a Don Ray fan.   Most everyone has their detractors whether they admit it or not.  I am well aware of mine, they remind me often!

The bigger point here was that there is a large group of expats moving out of Panama.   While the short term residents are missed, it is the longer term residents that the community has come to rely on that will be the biggest impact.   I fear for the next expat that needs the type of help Marion Clamp and others received.     

As the saying goes, you do not know what you have until it is gone.  
Then again the optimist says: you don't know what you've been missing until it arrives.

Moving on...  appreciating what I have...  and waiting for what comes... 

I think Joni said it best, Dan:

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

I have been reading Don Ray's blogs daily for over a decade, first from when he was in Boquete and later when he moved to David.  I do not know of anyone who has done more for the expats in Chiriqui with no thought of reward.  Lee Zeltzer and others have written blogs that at times have been helpful to a few but there was usually a revenue stream connected, and none of those people were boots on the ground when expats needed help.  There were helplines around but all they did was try to dispatch local authorities who may or may not have been helpful.  If Don Ray got a call from the embassy, he went.  I think it is also proper to mention the amount of help Lilliam has been in these cases, too.  She and Don Ray are the complete deal and their departure will leave a big void for someone to fill.

jim

• Upvote 2

I think it is fair to note that there are also some very bad sorts here that prey on, degrade and humiliate people just for fun.  Ning is full of them!  Probably there are more NPI's (nuts per square inch) here because we are such a small community that they "stick out".  While I too lament the fact that we may not have Don's wit with us on a daily basis anymore, I am confident their reasons for leaving are good ones and wish him and Lilliam all the best in the U.S.  As I too make arrangements to journey to Europe, I am looking forward to getting together with former Boquete residents in Spain.

1 hour ago, Sheila said:

Has anyone heard why he abruptly decided to leave? He made no comment as to why, and has not replied to anyone on his site. 

I don't believe Don Ray has ever done anything "abruptly". He is a meticulous planner. I don't believe he owes anyone a reason. The most important question is who will step up to handle warden duties with his departure?

• Upvote 2

Of course he doesn't owe anyone an explanation, but someone in his position should at least give a general reason as to why. He was the Embassy Warden, and was a very outspoken person who talked about his personal life quite frequently, so it is a bit strange and disconcerting that he would not comment on the reason.

Don has shared, in private, "a reason" with me.  I'm not sure it is the whole thing but guys, being U.S. Warden in David has just got to be soul sucking.  Maybe he needs to reduce and reflect. Whatever, everyone needs to understand what he did and who he represented.  Time for a new beginning for everyone I think.  I wish him well.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sheila said:

Of course he doesn't owe anyone an explanation, but someone in his position should at least give a general reason as to why. He was the Embassy Warden, and was a very outspoken person who talked about his personal life quite frequently, so it is a bit strange and disconcerting that he would not comment on the reason.

Maybe he's just tired.  Wouldn't you be?  He has always gone over and beyond for people in trouble.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Don Ray has had his home on the market for quite a while, so the announcement that he's leaving doesn't surprise me. It's a shame he wasn't able to organize a replacement for the Warden's position before resigning. His dedication will be missed.

Finding his replacement isn't part of the job description. I think there will be an opening for warden in Boquete soon, if you are interested.

From what I can tell, being a warden is demanding position, especially when dealing with a subset of the population who thinks the warden should solve any and all problems.

While it's an honor to be named as a warden,  it's certainly not an honorary position.

• Upvote 1

Don went the extra mile for every case he assisted with. He'd dive into his personal savings if necessary.  Countless hours at bedsides, in homes in transports....on and on it went non-stop.  .  Offering his private home space for relatives of injured...think about that?   I doubt there is anybody that can fill those big shoes.  I sure hope so.  For Don, a good rest and peace would be a wonderful thing. For him to enjoy life as a retired man with his wife, would be a blessing.   God knows he so deserves it !  God speed Don....you will be so missed here but never forgotten.

Alison and Bill

BTW.  I remember first meeting Don.  Bill and I just had gotten off the boat as it were, some 10 years ago. .  We were in Super Baru and bumped into Don, and struck up a conversation.  He never boasted his position or person during the chat but did hand us his card and told us if we needed anything he'd be happy to help.  What a heck of a guy that man !   Really...consider that.  Just a 100% nice guy.  Man, we'll miss him here.

• Upvote 1