Fénix Cafe Launches! Opening week schedule and First Friday DJ Dance Party... it's time to fly...

NewsLady

Hola All

I am happy to announce that I am re-opening the cafe formally-known as La Villa.  My aim is to continue and expand upon the original creator's vision of the community-centric, welcoming coffee house it had come to be.

Presenting...  Fénix Cafe!

Fénix is the Spanish spelling of Phoenix. Phoenix is a mythical bird that rises again after a major transformation... the form may be changed, but the spirit: indestructible. What is the spirt of Fénix Cafe? Community! And Great Coffee, Inspired food & drink, Art, Music, Yoga, Dance, gatherings & general good times.

fenix_cafe.jpg.fdefc9b353038a762a11223d3d283a02.jpg

OPENING WEEK SCHEDULE (operating under slightly reduced hours):

SUNDAY, APRIL 2nd

Fénix Cafe opens ‘softly’ on Sunday, April 2nd.  Doors will open at 12 noon.  The Film Club will be screening Buena Vista Social Club.  Snacks & drinks will be available for purchase.  Movie starts at 1:00 pm.  

CLOSED MONDAY (except for Ashtanga Yoga Class, 9-10 am)   ------>  Note to yogis, all Yoga Boquete classes are on regular schedule, with the exception of the upcoming, Saturday April1st Hatha Yoga class, which will not be held that day.

CLOSED TUESDAY (will not be at the market on April 4th--- but will be back the following Tuesday market)

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5th

Ashtanga Yoga 9-10 am

Game Players Gather 1 pm

Drum Circle 4-6 pm

THURSDAY, APRIL 6th

Hatha Yoga 9-10 am

Belly Dance Class 3 pm

AND THEN…. 

The Fénix Files on First Friday, April 7th

Official Kick-Off Party: 6:00 pm - ???  

DJ Mike Webber will be spinning the tunes -- dance floor is open!  

Let's kick things off with a bang.  All are invited.

Expanded operating hours will be announced soon.  Stayed tuned for exciting upcoming events including: Writers Reading on April 14th, Boquete Artworks Meeting on April 21st, Full Moon Drum Circle… and more.  Come on down to say hello.  

If you would like to be added to the Fénix Cafe e-mail list to receive news, learn about special events, or perhaps have an idea and/or suggestion you'd like to share, etc…  please response to this email and request such.  Much more news to come!   

Onward and upward,

Joy Alexander

Why would you think that just because some people know something that everyone knows?

IMO  This news article was incomplete and didn't contain necessary information to identify the location (where) of this place.  I agree with BD:   Where is it?

This is an ongoing problem with people who advertise their business or charity event. They get so caught up in their project that they assume everyone knows who they are and where they are. I know the Newslady and she refuses to screen the emails for missing information. This is the responsibility of those who write the news.boquete emails.

It never ceases to amaze me how lacking in basic rudimentary knowledge of salesmanship most people are.

They put stupid subject lines on their emails (like "please post") and never think for one second that they have to entice the reader to open the email in the first place.

They spend 10 seconds slapping out an email on their I-pad and expect 2000 readers to care enough to open it and read it.

It's my opinion that if you expect to burden almost 2000 inboxes, you ought to spend some time composing something that is complete, readable, informative and accurate.

My dos centavos worth . . . .

• Upvote 4

Good point.  This incomplete information on business and charity events is a common problem. Not sure how to fix it, but as our audience of readers grows and becomes more varied, we need clear, definite data that all readers can understand.

Any suggestion?

Don't publish notices of business and charity events if the information is not complete (who, what, where, when, and why rules for advertising).

Use a template showing required information when posting these events.

Refuse to publish events if information is incomplete.

Mi dos centavos.

5 hours ago, Pat said:

Why would you think that just because some people know something that everyone knows?

IMO  This news article was incomplete and didn't contain necessary information to identify the location (where) of this place.  I agree with BD:   Where is it?

Pat, I "think" I told you in my reply above.  Yes, the poster could have added more information but quite frankly, she was sending a message to all of the La Villa costomers who were left in the lurch.  It was/is a complicated situation and has been addressed admirably.  Don't get pissy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

The newslady doesn't get paid to edit news items. If the sender sends out incomplete information, the punishment is a loss of business.

The newslady pays the mail server annually to send out the mail. She isn't going to stress herself with editing the emails.

• Upvote 3

WE are sure this is all a work in progress and great that Joy has taken this over!!

It is a nice logo but is missing crucial marketing information:

phone number

a web site address

It's all about promoting your business. We are sure on her revamp these will be added.

Let's give her some slack!

1 hour ago, JohnF13 said:

Pat, I "think" I told you in my reply above.  Yes, the poster could have added more information but quite frankly, she was sending a message to all of the La Villa costomers who were left in the lurch.  It was/is a complicated situation and has been addressed admirably.  Don't get pissy.

Careful!  Are you attacking me with your name calling?

I believe you are mistaken because this publication was on a general and public forum not just a message to all of the La Villa customers. If that was the intent, it should have been so stated.

CL does not allow your kind of behavior. Check out their list of rules. If you do not choose to offer your printed apology here, I will contact the administer with a complaint re you.

Edited by Pat
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I don't know Joy, but I appreciate the personal element in her post. Marketing skills are not intuitive; usually one must have been in a business environment to master them. I understand why the Newslady is pissy (she's thick-skinned enough not to offended by the word) because she faces this all the time and doesn't have the time with deal with it.  I say let's be glad that Joy is reviving the venue, appreciate the e-mail she sent, and gently remind her that she needs to include more information.

• Upvote 3

• Moderators

OK folks. I was wanting to go to bed, but find that I need to take action now because this topic is going nowhere and spiraling downward.

Whether one agrees with Pat (and/or BD) or not, she/they do bring up a valid point about missing important information. Not everyone who reads NewsBoquete or CL lives here and knows all the particulars.

Penny (who is NewsLady in one of her other personas) wrote a wonderful discourse about her trials and tribulations with the less than stellar marketing/advertising skills of many of the business people who use her News Boquete information service. We agree that Penny has neither the role nor the duty to fix or reject the material sent to her for distribution.

Our assessment is that Pat did not violate any of CL's rules. JohnF13 did get "to the line", and possibly crossed over it a bit with his pissy comment because such terminology not only indicates a disagreement with Pat (which is okay by CL's rules), but then also is dismissive and condescending. We do not personally know either Pat or JohnF13, and can only assess this situation based on their writings.

Enough is enough. Locking this topic.

• Moderators

Fénix Café is the replacement for what was previously known as La Villa Café located in the BCP complex. La Villa was important to our community, and we all wish Lucy well in her new ventures. It is reasonable to do what we can now to support the new Fénix management.

It has been four days since this topic was locked. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with someone here on CL, but one of CL's guidelines is that disagreement needs to be done in a respectful manner.

CL's management is unlocking this topic so that our community can continue its discourse about and support for Fénix.

One of the products offered by LaVilla was shipping Boquete Coffee to those of us still in the USA so we can pretend we are in Boquete on Sunday mornings as we savor a cup of local coffee.  I have really missed that since Lee has been gone, was excited Lucy was offering it, and I would really like buying coffee direct from Boquete again if offered.

Edited by Bill Uhlman
grammer

7 hours ago, Bill Uhlman said:

One of the products offered by LaVilla was shipping Boquete Coffee to those of us still in the USA so we can pretend we are in Boquete on Sunday mornings as we savor a cup of local coffee.  I have really missed that since Lee has been gone, was excited Lucy was offering it, and I would really like buying coffee direct from Boquete again if offered.

You should try a separate topic for your request.  There are any number of coffee producers who might be interested in shipping to you.  In fact, I'm pretty certain that Emily Haworth ships hers to the States.  The local post office will take a kilo's worth of weight (including box) at a very reasonable cost.

12 hours ago, Bill Uhlman said:

Bill,

Deborah is correct on starting a separate topic. But to help you try Finca Dos Jefes, Richard does a great job and fantastic coffee tours:

He has an online shop and ships to the US.