Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's a good policy.i agree with it,one of the problems facing Europe right now.people enter as tourist and stay for ever.but it's always had a large amount of grey areas and weird loopholes.so does Panama.

I have a corporation.a business licence.ruk no.my children went to school here all done legally.i paid over 15000 dollars to seguro sociale.but never got residence due to various things.i was never illegal.but fell foul of a system operating a huge grey area.this should be a great example of a flawed system and Some one caught in it.i don't want sympathy .I just want to navigate my way through the grey areas and get out of it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how long it is going to take for this to shake out. I was hoping we could get more clarification from SMM. As one of two U.S. Wardens in Boquete, I am getting a lot of questions and feel badl

It's a good policy.i agree with it,one of the problems facing Europe right now.people enter as tourist and stay for ever.but it's always had a large amount of grey areas and weird loopholes.so does Pa

Yes, but it's still not clear when one has to leave, at what point he has overstayed.

Posted Images

I am considering Spain as an alternative.  Until I sell my house in Florida, I cannot afford 2K to get my pensionado.  There are also retirees out there that do not have fingerprints.  Everyone's situation is different.  The Ambassador told us in his meeting that there are approximately 4500 expats in the Boquete area and, if everyone of those expats spends a minimum of $1,000 per month (there are a lot of us who spend more) you are looking at $4,500,000 dollars per month in this area alone.  If we all left, it would cripple the local economy.  Not to mention the charitable work we do here would be missed.  Why is Panama ignoring the contributions of the retirees?  To me it is obvious they do not want us here.

Edited by MarieElaine
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MarieElaine said:

I am considering Spain as an alternative.  Until I sell my house in Florida, I cannot afford 2K to get my pensionado.  There are also retirees out there that do not have fingerprints.  Everyone's situation is different.  The Ambassador told us in his meeting that there are approximately 4500 expats in the Boquete area and, if everyone of those expats spends a minimum of $1,000 per month (there are a lot of us who spend more) you are looking at $4,500,000 dollars per month in this area alone.  If we all left, it would cripple the local economy.  Not to mention the charitable work we do here would be missed.  Why is Panama ignoring the contributions of the retirees?  To me it is obvious they do not want us here.

I think Spain will be good for you.   A nice place to be.  It is in Europe.  A lot of history there.  Every place you set your foot has a recorded history way back to more than 2000 years.

Panama has a lot of retirees and will welcome all of them.  The only thing they have to do is comply with all the requisites, regulations and laws and thats it.  Easy.  I am so sure that more than 75% of the Expats in Boquete are legal and did all the stuff they have to do to live here peacefully and quietly.   Is that to much to ask??  Is that very difficult to understand??  Panama will be accepting expats for many years and will welcome all of them but legally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rooikop said:

It's a good policy.i agree with it,one of the problems facing Europe right now.people enter as tourist and stay for ever.but it's always had a large amount of grey areas and weird loopholes.so does Panama.

I have a corporation.a business licence.ruk no.my children went to school here all done legally.i paid over 15000 dollars to seguro sociale.but never got residence due to various things.i was never illegal.but fell foul of a system operating a huge grey area.this should be a great example of a flawed system and Some one caught in it.i don't want sympathy .I just want to navigate my way through the grey areas and get out of it.

You will not find here a solution for your immigrations problems.   I think that you should look for legal advice with one of the good, honest, reliable and affordable lawyers a lot of expats round here have used succesfully and without any complain.   With their guidance you could go step by step doing what is required and get a legal immigration status.  You wont be the first or the last.  Thousands people have done it before and are enjoying their stay in this little country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger B said:

I think Spain will be good for you.   A nice place to be.  It is in Europe.  A lot of history there.  Every place you set your foot has a recorded history way back to more than 2000 years.

Panama has a lot of retirees and will welcome all of them.  The only thing they have to do is comply with all the requisites, regulations and laws and thats it.  Easy.  I am so sure that more than 75% of the Expats in Boquete are legal and did all the stuff they have to do to live here peacefully and quietly.   Is that to much to ask??  Is that very difficult to understand??  Panama will be accepting expats for many years and will welcome all of them but legally.

Agree 100% with you. Roger B.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Thank you Siempre. You saved me some time.

If you look at the map on their website, it is not a static display as shown here. Interesting. I just wonder where they get the underlying information to make such a chart.

My interpretation is that the Middle East, Europe and SE Asia are more active with migration as compared to the Americas. Others may see things differently, however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Maybe Bud can embed it

Below is the interactive version of the migration map that Keith posted.

Quote

All the World’s Immigration Visualized in 1 Map

June 29, 2016

This map shows the estimated net immigration (inflows minus outflows) by origin and destination country between 2010 and 2015.

Blue circles = positive net migration (more inflows). Red circles = negative net migration (more outflows). Each yellow dot represents 1,000 people.

Country-to-country net migration (2010-2015)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Admin_01 said:

Interesting. I just wonder where they get the underlying information to make such a chart.

thanks for getting the interactive feature working, Bud.

Credit

The data for this map comes from the UN Population Division’s estimates for Total Migrant Stock — the number of global migrants, broken down by country of residence and country of origin. The numbers are not fully consistent. In some cases, they represent foreign citizens and in others they represent foreign born. See the dataset itself for the full set of footnotes.

To convert those figures into immigration estimates, I took the difference between the migrant stock in 2015 and that in 2010. Since some of that difference is due to mortality, not immigration, I adjusted the 2010 numbers down assuming an annual mortality rate of 0.8%, the global average.

The map was made in Javascript using D3, three.js, and MapboxGL.

Max Galka

I'm an NYC-based entrepreneur (my newest project: Blueshift). I'm fascinated by data visualization and the ways that data is transforming our understanding of the world. I spend a lot of time with my face buried in Excel, and when I find something interesting I write about it
Edited by Keith Woolford
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
15 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

thanks for getting the interactive feature working, Bud.

<snip...>

De nada.

It is a cool "map". I would have used the word "chart" to describe what was being displayed, but that website specifically labels it a "map". Oh well, so much for my naval training.

It turns out that the only way to post the interactive version (given my current level of knowledge) is to use HTML code. That is something that only admins are permitted to do here on CL because it is very easy to destroy a website by using those powerful tools. Damage to a website can be either unintentional (e.g., simply making a typo), or intentional (the so-called bad dudes/dudettes). Most people do not think about those issues, but website owners have to protect their websites. So far in CL's life we have had about 30 attempts to hack CL, mostly from Russia, but one in particular from an African country. That is more than once a month. Such is life nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Quote

Panama “permanent” tourist era ending

IMMIGATION-620x264.jpg

PERMANENT TOURISTS in Panama will soon be a thing of the past according to new immigration regulations.

Foreigners  living in Panama as tourists will no longer be  able to pop across the border to Costa Rica to get  their passports stamped with an exit visa but will have to leave the country for a month if they want to re-­enter Panamanian territory

The  move is in addition to other immigration restrictions announced by Migration Director Javier Carrillo The new measure applies to foreigners residing in the country as tourists. When they have reached five months living in the country, they must leave for at least one month if they want to re­enter, Carrillo  told AFP.

Panamanian law establishes that foreigners with a tourist visa have a limit of six months of continuous stay in the country. But once that deadline nears  completion, many crossed briefly to Costa Rica with so their passports showed the exit stamp from Panama They would then re­enter Panama, and be allowed to stay another six months.

“The difference now is that if they leave with six months they will not be allowed to enter because people should be regularized, no one can be a tourist permanently,” said Carrillo.

The  measure will not affect a tourist who is in Panama for a brief period of time and then re­enters.

 

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/panama-permanent-tourist-era-ending

Link to post
Share on other sites

So if a tourist stays for the full 6 months, they must be out of Panama for 30 days before they can enter again? Or is that if you exit by the 5th month, and if you stay the complete 6 months you cannot enter again at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SP87 said:

So if a tourist stays for the full 6 months, they must be out of Panama for 30 days before they can enter again? Or is that if you exit by the 5th month, and if you stay the complete 6 months you cannot enter again at all?

I don't understand either. How can you exit by the 5th month while at the same time staying for six months? Paragraphs two and three appear contradictory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The solution to most of this would be to ask a visitor how long he has planned to visit Panama and mark the visa page accordingly.  Visas are to allow one to arrive at a port of entry; the official then decides the length of stay based on the visitor's answer to the official's question on the purpose of the visit.  Simply stamping 180 days of visit is the problem.

jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I don't understand either. How can you exit by the 5th month while at the same time staying for six months? Paragraphs two and three appear contradictory.

It would seem the "officials" don't have a clear understanding of the current law:

Carrillo detailed that this new measure "is for those who have more than
five months in the country as tourists and leave nothing more than to return to
get in. Now they have to be 30 days out of the country. "

Bottom line: 3 days out of Panama has become 30 days.

jim

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimAndNena said:

It would seem the "officials" don't have a clear understanding of the current law:

Carrillo detailed that this new measure "is for those who have more than
five months in the country as tourists and leave nothing more than to return to
get in. Now they have to be 30 days out of the country. "

Bottom line: 3 days out of Panama has become 30 days.

jim

 

Yes, but it's still not clear when one has to leave, at what point he has overstayed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Quote

A tourist is a tourist not a resident – Varela

tourists.jpg

 PANAMA PRESIDENT, Juan Carlos Varela, said Saturday, March 18, that there will be no more using of tourism permits  to establish  residency in the country.

Varela pointed out that whoever arrives in Panama as tourist can do so  but if he or she wants to remain with relatives already in the country or has other plans they can do so  as long as they follow the parameters established by Panamanian law.

The president explained that “we cannot afford for the six-month tourist permit to be used to cross the border and then return, and stay here as if you  were a permanent resident”.

On Friday, Javier Carrillo the director of the National  Migration Service said  that foreigners living in Panama as tourists must, at the end of five months  leave the country for at least  a month if they want to re-enter Panamanian territory.

Carrillo said that the new measure “is for those who have more than five months in the country  as tourists and leave for  nothing more than to re-enter. Now they have to be out of the country for  at lest 30 days.

 

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/tourist-tourist-not-resident-varela

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator_02 changed the title to Panama's Policies on Immigration and Migration

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...