Jump to content

Message for U.S. Citizens: Outreach in Bocas del Toro on March 11

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators


Seal with white background

U.S. Embassy Panama

Consular Section

American Citizen Services Unit


The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Panama would like to inform U.S. citizens that we will be visiting Bocas del Toro on Saturday, March 11, 2017 to provide limited consular report of birth abroad (CRBA), passport, notarial, and federal benefits services to U.S. Citizens.




Bocas del Toro: Saturday, March 11, 2017 from 10a.m. to 2p.m. at the Autoridad de Turismo de Panama (ATP) Building on Calle 1a in Isla Colon.  If you require the consular services listed above, please rsvp to Panama-ACS@state.gov with the subject line “Bocas Outreach Services” and note in the body of the e-mail the type(s) of services required.




The Embassy will only accept payment by local banker’s cashier check (known in Spanish as “Cheque Certificado”) made payable to “U.S. Embassy Panama”, issued within the past five months.  The Embassy will NOT accept cash or credit card payments.  The notarial fee is $50 per each signature of the Consular Officer.  A list of passport fees can be found here.  Other than passport and notarial services, all other services are no-fee.




CRBA: Please bring the original documents listed below, which can be downloaded at the links provided.  Documents in English and Spanish will be accepted, but original documents in other languages must be translated into English. Completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form DS-2029) 

·         Child’s Panamanian Birth Certificate – The COPIA INTEGRA of the child’s birth certificate is required to apply for a CRBA.  (The copia integra birth certificate is a “complete” document, printed on legal size paper, with revenue stamps.  The copia integra can be obtained at the Panamanian Civil Registry on Avenida Peru.  The yellow common birth certificate, printed on half a page, is not acceptable as proof of birth.)

·         Original evidence of U.S. Citizenship of one or both parents – Proof of U.S. citizenship may be a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, CRBA, Certificate of Citizenship or a Naturalization Certificate.  (Military identification is NOT proof of U.S. citizenship.)

·         Parents’ Marriage Certificate – Original or certified copy of parents’ marriage certificate if they are married.

·         Evidence of Dissolution of Previous Marriages – If either parent has been previously married, submit original divorce decrees or death certificates of prior spouse(s).

·         Proof of U.S. Physical Presence in the U.S. prior to child’s birth – U.S. citizen parents must document their physical presence in the U.S.   Evidence of physical presence in the U.S. may consist of passport stamps, official school or university transcripts, employment and/or military service records, proof of U.S. Government service abroad, or evidence of time spent abroad as an unmarried dependent son or daughter living in the same household of a U.S. Government employee serving abroad.

·         Completed U.S. Passport Application (Form DS-11) (click “Print a blank form DS-11”

·         One Photo of the child (size 2”x2” with a white background)

·         For information on how to apply for the Social Security Card, please visit:  http://panama.usembassy.gov/ssacard.html.  You will use this form: Application for a Social Security Number (Form SS-5) (PDF - 237kb), to apply for a Social Security Card directly to the Federal Benefits Unit once your receive the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport.


Passports: For adult passport renewals (remember that you can complete passport renewals by mail!), in addition to the completed DS-82 application, provide one recent color photo with a white background that measures 5x5 cm (2X2 inches),  your passport, and a photocopy of the photo page of your passport.  The fee for an adult passport renewal is currently $110.  If your previous passport was lost or stolen you will also need to bring a copy of the police report and the fee for the new passport is $135.  For minor passport renewals, in addition to the completed DS-11 application, bring a copy of the photo page of the minor’s passport, a copy of both parents’ passports /cedulas, one recent color photo with a white background that measures 5x5 cm (2X2 inches) and a copy of the minor’s birth certificate, in addition to the original birth certificate and passport/ cedulas.  The fee is currently $105.00 for a minor (under 16) passport renewal.    The minor and both parents or guardians must appear in person.  If only one parent is present in Panama, the “Statement of Consent from Absent Parent” Form DS-3053, notarized in the U.S., is required.  Please note that the DS-3053 will not be accepted if notarized in Panama.


Notarizations: Here is the link with details. If you are requesting the notarization of your driver’s license, bring a photocopy of the front and back page of your license, as well as your license.  If you are requesting notarization of benefits documents, bring the original and a copy of the document(s) showing the amount of benefits you receive monthly or annually.  The notarial fee is $50.00 for each signature of the Consular Officer.


LPR Abandonment: Bring completed form I-407 and a photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card, as well as your Permanent Resident Card.


WHAT TO BRING FOR FEDERAL BENEFITS SERVICES (please bring legible copies of all documents to be submitted):


SSA Proof of Life: If you are required to comply with this requirement this year (i.e. your SSN ends in 00 thru 49; you receive benefits for someone else; you are age 90 or over), please bring your cedula or passport.


Medicare Enrollment/Cancellation: To enroll in Medicare, you should complete and sign this form and to cancel your enrollment please complete and sign this form. 


Social Security Replacement Card: Bring a copy of your valid U.S. passport and completed form SS-5FS.


Social Security Card for child under 12: Bring a copy of the U.S. passport for one of the parents, the child’s “copia integra” birth certificate, and the child’s U.S. passport (as well as copies) as well as completed form SS-5FS.


Change of Address for Social Security: Bring your current passport or cedula.


International Direct Deposit Enrollment:  If you wish to enroll, please send an e-mail to Panama-FBU@state.gov to request the form.


Services will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.



We look forward to seeing you there!




American Citizen Services Unit

U.S. Embassy in Panama


The above message was distributed by News Boquete, a free subscription-based community service.
News Boquete's ONLY public email address is news.boquete@gmail.com.
For more info and use policy, visit https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105014438/News_Boquete/News_Boquete_Policy.pdf.

If replying to this message, reply ONLY to the ORIGINATOR (typically your email application's 'Reply To' function works).

To stop receiving these emails, send a message to news.boquete@gmail.com with the word unsubscribe in the subject line or body of the message.

© 2017, News Boquete. All rights reserved. Public redistribution strictly prohibited without prior written permission.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...