Weather Issues of Late

Bud

With all of the really high winds and strong episodic rain lately, I have been checking out some weather websites looking for causes. I must be overlooking something. I can't find the cause. Hmmmmm. Can anyone help?

Some report sustained winds at 20MPH. Okay. I see that. Some say wind gusts to in excess of 81KPH. Okay, we see those too.

I'm still looking for a Caribbean storm but can't find one.

What gives here?

P.S., it seems to me that this kind of weather could bode ill for BJBF activities in various venues around town, e.g., in the Amphitheater at VE.

Check this out.  I think it is the big storm in the U.S. northeast that is swirling around all the way to Panama.  The same thing happened with that big storm in January. 

http://www.meteoearth.com/#/,-81.01,18.75,3.36,6,1,1,0,0,0,time=1486813920

Here's another one:  https://www.windytv.com/overlays?8.407,-82.266,3

Edited by JudyS
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bud said:

With all of the really high winds and strong episodic rain lately, I have been checking out some weather websites looking for causes. I must be overlooking something. I can't find the cause. Hmmmmm. Can anyone help?

Some report sustained winds at 20MPH. Okay. I see that. Some say wind gusts to in excess of 81KPH. Okay, we see those too.

What gives here?

P.S., it seems to me that this kind of weather could bode ill for BJBF activities in various venues around town, e.g., in the Amphitheater at VE.

Warning of intensification of winds and adverse seas over the next few hours

A notice to prevent the intensification of winds and adverse sea state, was issued on Friday by the National System of Civil Protection (SINAPROC).

The institution informs that due to the incursion of the winds typical of the dry season, during the next 72 hours is expected intensification of Nor-Noroeste address winds with speeds of 20 to 40 kilometers per hour (km/h) and wind gusts up to 60 km/h, on both sides, especially in the province of Chiriquí.

It also indicates that it will be registered a adverse sea state, for the whole of the Caribbean slope, with waves from the 2.6 up to 3.3 meters high with periods of 10 seconds, influencing the regions of Guna Yala, Colon, the north of Veraguas, the Comarca Ngobe-Bugle and Bocas del Toro.

In addition be recorded this condition throughout the Pacific slopes with waves of up to 2.0 meters in the Gulf of Panama, the Azuero Peninsula Isla Coiba and the surrounding area.

It is recommended to people with these conditions are placed in safe places, which are not prone to landslides of objects or falling trees, take plenty of water to avoid dehydration, avoid the burn all kinds, among others.

http://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/Advierten-intensificacion-vientos-adverso-proxima_0_998301087.html

14 hours ago, Bud said:

What gives here?

This morning in Alto Boquete.

IMG_6510.JPG

You may be interested in taking a look at predictwind.com. I subscribe for $10/year and check their forecasts daily - but I have no other interest in their business.

I attach a sequence of daily screen shots of one of their pages for the past week, for my location (Lucero, which is in the wind shadow of La Estrella and has somewhat less dry season wind exposure than most of the Boquete district). The sequence shows that as early as last Monday, the ECMWF model predicted violent winds for Friday, and that prediction was maintained, and extended to Saturday, during the week. The other three models weren't as early, and finally got around to predicting the winds with a 24-36 hour lead time.

ECMWF stands for European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts - it is a recent addition to the predictwind.com offering, but seems superior to the other three which are based on US and Canadian meteorological data sets and computer models. predictwind.com generates forecasts for any, very precisely defined, location.

windthing.docx