Appliance Delivery and Removal Question

Marcelyn and I have been shopping around for a new washing machine because of a catastrophic failure of our current machine (probably due to electrical surges* and brownouts, :S, again and again!). When we go to the various dealers in Chiriqui, we ask about the delivery and installation of the new machine, and the removal and disposal of the old machine. We universally are being told that delivery is an added cost option (okay, we understand, and it is a reasonable charge anyway), but in no case can we find a store that will commit to installation of the new machine, and to removal and disposal of the old machine. Are we expecting too much?

What do people do with old appliances such as a clothes washer? We presume that the Boquete garbage service wouldn't touch such a task.

*P.S., yes we have dedicated electrical protection devices for these appliances, but obviously they are not up to the task presented by the power grid.

9 hours ago, Bud said:

Marcelyn and I have been shopping around for a new washing machine because of a catastrophic failure of our current machine (probably due to electrical surges* and brownouts, :S, again and again!). When we go to the various dealers in Chiriqui, we ask about the delivery and installation of the new machine, and the removal and disposal of the old machine. We universally are being told that delivery is an added cost option (okay, we understand, and it is a reasonable charge anyway), but in no case can we find a store that will commit to installation of the new machine, and to removal and disposal of the old machine. Are we expecting too much?

What do people do with old appliances such as a clothes washer? We presume that the Boquete garbage service wouldn't touch such a task.

*P.S., yes we have dedicated electrical protection devices for these appliances, but obviously they are not up to the task presented by the power grid.

The area appliance repair places will take your used appliances to be used for parts.  On a good day they'll pick them up.  Try the one next to the Terpel gas station as you come into town.

For non-working refrigerators, they're coveted by tallers to be used as tool boxes and for storage.  Fishermen use them as coolers, they lay them on their backs and seal off any internal components. 

As for delivery charges from David, Panafoto has raised theirs to $45 and they only deliver to Boquete on Tuesdays, Reyna delivers within one hour.  I've been satisfied with Whirlpool products from Reyna (washer, dryer, and full size refrigerator).  The Samsung refrigerator I purchased in David only lasted two years before experiencing problems.  Keep in mind that Panafoto charges $40 per visit in Boquete for warranty repair work.  So the minimum is an initial visit to determine the problem and then a second visit to install the part totaling $80.

For those who aren't aware, the Reyna appliance store has relocated from next to MBE to one block away directly behind the main Reyna store as depicted in the map below.  It's a much larger store with an expanded product line including office and living room furniture.

Reyna Appliances  jpeg .jpg

Bud

The recycling place across from La Posada restaurant will take your appliance. They will even pay you the scrap value for it. Get a Panamanian with a pickup and give him $10 and he'll probably get another $10 from the salvage place.

It's good to know about La Reina. I find their prices to be quite reasonable on most things. My dishwasher went electronic/circuit board crazy after only 7 months. Am going to try to get it fixed under warranty (ja, ja, yes, I know this is Panama and it's a long shot).

Actually, in my neighborhood I just set stuff out on the curb. Don't even have to put a "gratis" sign on it. It's usually gone within an hour or two.