Spin Off Discussion from Getting to Know Boquete Police Captain Roberto Espinoza -- Accountability and Responsibility for Crime

17 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I suspect they deteriorated and ultimately died from lack of maintenance. There never has been adequate funding to maintain police vehicles or ambulances. The one vehicle certainly explains why so many people are reporting extremely slow response times when the Police are summoned. All the more reason to take as many steps as necessary to protect yourself and your home.

They were under warranty...no?  Toyotas not lasting past their warranty? 

Came past the Caldera checkpoint a day or so ago and noted that the relatively new Ford police cruiser had a rock under the back wheel to prevent it from rolling away.  Wouldn't a bunch of the Odebretcht bribe money come in handy for vehicle maintenance?

• Upvote 1

Good idea on recovering the bribe money and putting it to good use. But, the rock thing a "must" be safety thing here. We see it all of the time. I guess they don't trust the Park on automatics, in gear manuals or the emergency breaks!!! I have ask myself many times why the rocks behind or in front of the tires.

I was asked to contribute to this discussion having experienced firsthand the difficulty in obtaining justice for crimes against perpetrators under the current Panamanian Legal System.

Forgive me, this is a long post.

I no longer live in Chiriqui but I do occasionally read CL -- after all, I did live in Potrerillos for 15 years.

This post is not meant “to put the frighteners” on expats it is more to enlighten and hopefully to bring about realization of the “the way things are”.  It is not written in anger, it is written partially to thank those who saved my life and those who supported me throughout my months in hospital and beyond. 

Strangely enough I do not harbor hatred against the two teens who assaulted me.  If it wasn’t for the attack I would not be living where I am now.  I exchanged the mountains for the beach and ocean and for the happiness that living only four minutes’ walk away from your only child can bring.

But having said that, it is frightening to think that the two teenagers are now at liberty to commit armed robbery again and next time their victim may not survive.

I lived in Panama for 15 years, maybe two or perhaps three years after we moved onto our property and into our home I experienced a robbery.  This was when things were still tranquilo in this area, when crimes were only crimes of opportunity and when criminal violence was extremely rare. 

A very presentable man, with new(ish) bicycle came to my house to ask if I knew where a “gringo called Mike” lived.  I told him I did not.  Little did I know he had been “scoping out” the house through the windows and seen my wallet and cell phone on the kitchen island.  He got back on his bike and that was that – or so I thought as I returned to what I was doing in the family room.  Several hours later, searching for my phone, I realized it and my wallet, were missing. The robber had apparently returned, entered the kitchen and quickly taken my wallet and cell phone.  My dog did not bark as she had seen me talking to the man outside and I suspect had classified him as “a friend”.

I had a photo of the man, he had committed several robberies in the area including the home of one of my neighbors.  The man lived in David and the David police knew him well from his criminal history.  I spent hours at the Municipio in Dolega giving a denuncia.  My gardener and a neighbor were also required to go to the Municipio to give statements.  I was summoned to the PTJ in David to look through ancient mug shot albums – even though I had a photo of the felon!!  People had seen the man catching the bus from David, Dolega and Potrerillos. They remembered him because his bike had been loaded on to the roofs of the buses at times consistent with the robbery.  There was no follow up by the authorities, the man was never charged or prosecuted and I heard nothing more from the police.

After my husband passed away, I decided to downsize and put my home on the market.  A year before the home invasion I was contacted by “Andy Singer” who said he and his Panamanian wife were planning to return to Panama to open a bed and breakfast and that my property seemed ideal for such a purpose.  He asked several questions and I directed him to the website for my home where all of his questions would be answered.  “Andy Singer” then told me he would like to view my property and could I give him my phone number so he could call me to set up an appointment.  Something in my feeble brain gave out a warning signal.  I decided to wait 24 hours before responding.  In the meantime I checked further, as far as my limited knowledge of technology would allow, and discovered that though the emails were signed Andy Singer, ploughing through all of the extraneous information of the email source I came upon the writer’s address of “Billinlacarcel@...” or Bill in Prison.  Another possible future scam for Wild Bill and his then cell mate Ozzie??

Obviously, with funding from relatives and friends, they are able to buy smart phones/tablets to allow them to check out possible future victims, or perhaps this was their way of “having a little fun”. Prison wardens in Panama jails are not law enforcement officers but are hired from outside the prison system.  They are open too bribes.  If a prisoner has the cash they can obtain whatever they want.  This is a well-known fact.

I reported the email to Lt. Castillo, who, at that time was head of the police department for Boquete and Dolega and who I had known for many years. He said he would come to my home to verify the email, take printed copies with him and call his contact at the David jail.  He never arrived at my home, neither did he send another police officer.  There was no follow-up, nothing was ever done.  Lt. Castillo retired from the police force several months later.

How long has “Wild Bill” been in prison awaiting trial – four, five years?  There has still been no trial and therefore no justice for the families of the victims.

In defense of the police of Chiriqui (and in the country as a whole), their hands are somewhat tied by the laws of Panama and their interest in the community somewhat dulled by their frequent repostings.  It is extremely difficult to form a relationship -- police with citizens or citizens and police -- when the length of assignment to a location is pitifully short.

I had many friends/acquaintances among the police community of the Dolega District, they would frequently come to my home to check on my husband and I, sit and chat, have a soda and cookies but I soon learned that a policeman who you thought would be “first on the scene” if something happened to you, would soon be posted to a different town or city.

Captain Roberto Espinoza, as Bud himself said “He could retire later this year, but no firm decision has been made at this juncture.”  So, he may hold the position of Boquete Police Captain for a year or even less??  Not enough time to build relationships or form a sound knowledge of the community and the people who live in it.  The local people are the ones who can help the most with leads and “inside information” which leads to an arrest.

To give praise where praise is deserved, the police did catch two of the teenagers who attacked me.  I don’t know how long it took, (I was aware of very little at the time), I think they were apprehended very quickly – but – the younger teenager, the one who stabbed me, was 14 years old and because the laws of Panama dictate that a person has to be 18 years old before they can be prosecuted, he received a slap on the hand and was released.  Last I heard before I left Chiriqui, he was living with his father in the Boquete area. 

The second of my attackers, the one who shot me twice, I was told was 17.  He was held for several months and the grapevine said that the police were hoping to keep him until his 18th birthday when he could be prosecuted.  Now this is all “hearsay”, gleaned from police, translators, interviews, friends – I cannot swear that this is the truth.  I have been told subsequent to my departure, that this young man has also been released.

So to potential murderers are now back on the streets and living in the community.

If these teenagers had tied me up and asked me where my wallet was, where the computer was, where my jewelry was – I would have readily told them but they broke into my house at 2:30 am, immediately stabbed and shot me without uttering one word and only questioned me while I was laying on the floor in a large pool of my own blood.  They laughed as they walked down the driveway with their “haul”.  They had stolen my cell phone so I couldn’t call for help, but fortunately that laughter I heard as they left made me angry, very angry and the adrenaline started flowing which enabled me to drive to a neighbor’s house, squeeze through a small space by the side of their gate and crawl up the driveway.  My neighbor (a Panamanian so no language barrier) called the police and an ambulance.  She called other neighbors who arrived in seconds -- the police responded quickly but my neighbors decided the ambulance was taking too long and loaded me into their truck to drive me to Mae Lewis.  I owe my life to the Le Borgne’s, the Ferguson’s and the Kolm’s,  it goes without saying to Dr. Cattan who performed the surgery and the care of Don Ray and Lilliam Williams after my release from hospital.

Several weeks later, my doctor told me that the police had wanted to interview me while I was in Intensive Care when I was semi-comatose and with tubes inserted in every orifice – obviously I didn’t have enough orifices as the doctors had to create even more entry points for tubes. The police insisted on seeing me only to realize I was unable to hear or respond.  However, as soon as I was able I was asked to give a statement -- two police detectives and a translator arrived by my bedside.

I was released, after being in hospital for ten plus weeks and except for the last few days, with nursing care 24 hours per day.  In early January I was required to attend an appointment with the government psychologist – I can only guess she was tasked with ascertaining if I was lying about the attack.  Obviously, given the fragility of my appearance, the fact that walking was extremely difficult even with a walker, plus the surgical scar from breast bone to pubic bone, she determined that I had been the victim of a crime.  Astute Lady!!??!!

As JohnF13 said I was questioned two or three months prior to leaving Panama, I was also questions two other times, once more in the hospital and once while staying with Don Ray and Lilliam Williams.  Each time was an ordeal for me, I had to relive the incident.  Each time I felt as if I was the one under scrutiny and that there was doubt about the veracity of my story. 

I also received an “official document” requiring me to see a government doctor who would verify my medical condition.  The letter received, which indicated I was to submit to an examination at a date and time to be notified, was dated incorrectly, December 2016 rather than December 2015.  Apparently this caused a major malfunction in the machinery that drives the government offices involved in this case. Calls were made on my behalf several times and we made appearances at the appropriate offices twice to ask about the appointment for the examination.  Each time we were told “you will be contacted when the doctor can schedule you”.  I remained in the country until July 18th, 2016 over nine months after the attack.  At no time was I nor the Williams contacted with a date and time for me to appear to be examined by the government doctor.

My point is, that I was subjected to interviews and interrogations and psychological examinations at a time when my life and mental wellbeing hung in the balance – all for naught.

The investigation team of the DJI was led by another officer I had known previously and who is also from Potrerillos, he had returned to the area after being posted to La Joya and Panama City for several years.  He too had been to my home many times.  The perpetrators were known, one was in custody, I presume there was evidence from fingerprints and leads on where they had disposed of my possessions (my computer was actually seen to be on-line) and yet I was never asked to identify the suspects either visually or from their voices.  Visually I could not have done so, the violence happened too quickly and in the dark, I was then in pain and wallowing in my own blood, but I could have given a definite identification from their voices.  I still hear those voices at 2:30 in the morning when I wake up in a cold sweat “¿Dónde está el dinero? Queremos más dinero, ¿dónde está?”.

At no time was I requested by any member of the Policia Nacional nor the DJI if I would testify.  At no time was it even suggested that the perpetrators would actually come to trial and that my testimony would be paramount in obtaining a conviction.  At no time was I told I would be required to testify.  At no time was I asked not to leave the country as my testimony would be necessary for the prosecution. 

In short, yes, the police appreciate brownies, I baked frequently for the police in Dolega and for the police who stopped by my house but, oatmeal cookies, butterscotch pie and brownies will only result in a happy smile from the recipients.  The police are understaffed, underpaid and underfinanced. This leads to a lack of motivation to track down criminals or to put their lives at risk when they know full well that the laws of Panama negate any efforts they make to apprehend perpetrators of crime, however heinous the crime might be.  The chance that criminals will see any prison time is slim to none.

It’s fine to protect yourself, take all the precautions you can but the criminals are becoming smart.  Do you have an automatic entry gate??  If not, perhaps you need one.  Remember a couple of years ago there were one or two robberies when people were ambushed as they exited their cars to manually open their entry gates.  They were then forced to open their homes and allow the robbers free rein.

What is really sad is that the one person who could possibly have made a difference and fought for a change in the law and who initially headed protests and meetings, Diputada Athena Athanasiadis, diverted her interest to other, I can only assume, more deserving causes.  Initially her anger was stirred and she became involved, I suspect, primarily because I lived only a two minute walk from her parents’ house, the home she was raised in.  Her parents are definitely not “on a budget” and can pay for 24/7 security guards – I and most other retirees can not.

Unless the law changes, violent crimes will continue to be committed and will escalate with little or no hope of retribution from the authorities on the perpetrators.

Edited by Admin_01
increased font size to make this easier to read
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Marion said:

Last I heard before I left Chiriqui, he was living with his father in the Boquete area. 

For those of you who didn't read closely, the above sentence refers to the 14-year-old who stabbed Marion without provocation. He would be 16 now, no? And among us.

Thank you for sharing this, Marion. It takes it out of the realm of rumor, word-of-mouth, and speculation. What you went through is too awful to even imagine, and you have my admiration. Live safely and happily in Mexico or wherever you may eventually land.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Hil said:

Good idea on recovering the bribe money and putting it to good use. But, the rock thing a "must" be safety thing here. We see it all of the time. I guess they don't trust the Park on automatics, in gear manuals or the emergency breaks!!! I have ask myself many times why the rocks behind or in front of the tires.

The rock behind or in front of a parked vehicle tire is what my elderly uncle often did because he didn't drive an automatic shift car. This local habit of using "holding  rocks" sounds like many years ago behavior. It made me smile with a good memory.?

• Upvote 1

Reading Marian's post (thank you Marion for taking the time to write and for including so much detail), it makes me wonder if it is safe to sell one's house "by owner".  Wouldn't that be a great opportunity for someone to come and rob you, or worse?  She said "Andy Singer" wanted to look at her property for sale, and it turns out he might have been Wild Bill, who might have partners in crime on the outside staking out houses for sale in order to rob the owners who are showing it.  This is a nightmare tale, and Marian is a mighty brave lady.  The criminal "justice" system here is disgraceful.

• Upvote 3

While we are discussing home invasions and unprovoked attacks, let's not forget about Richard Moore, who was shot without warning by three teenagers in his home in Volcancito. So far as I know, no arrests have been made. There also was a second home invasion robbery in Potrerillos during which the gringo resident was severely injured.

If Marcelyn was unfamiliar with this history of violence, as she wrote in response to Penny's post, I feel certain that there are many other people who are similarly "in the dark." These issues need to be kept alive for the benefit of newcomers and to remind all of us of the possibility of such home invasions and the inadequate police response which, as Marion suggests, is likely perpetuate them.

• Upvote 2

Don Ray in David has posted Marion's ordeal in his blog and referenced Chiriqui Life.  http://www.chiriquichatter.net/blog/2017/01/30/another-living-in-panama-guest-post/

Everyone is always responsible for their security.  That should be a given.  However, the level of security is the unknown part of the equation. Where I live in Texas, I have a storage shed with a couple thousand dollars of equipment. It has no lock on the door, the back yard fence is a deterrent only to stray dogs and honest people and yet nothing has ever gone missing. In Panama, I would be lucky if the whole shed wasn't taken.

In Chiriqui, some expats have learned from others' misfortunes and increased their security. Bars on doors and windows are added but they can be removed with fairly little effort or the thieves figure a way to reach any loot placed near the open window. So, alarms systems are added. The thieves cut the power or disable the wiring. So, perimeter fences are built to keep watchdogs as a defense. Dogs are poisoned, a few days later, the break-in happens.  Finally, every effort is applied to prevent the thugs from getting near the residence.  So, the thieves wait nearby and as the owners exit their vehicle, they are attacked and taken inside.

The part of the equation that is missing is: there is no punishment for the thugs doing the crime.  Until such time as Panama changes the law regarding minors, the attacks will continue and the targets will be those individuals who provide the most loot from the attack.  Gringos are not being targeted; they just happen to have the most loot and the least connection to the locals.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2017 at 7:38 AM, Bonnie said:

While we are discussing home invasions and unprovoked attacks, let's not forget about Richard Moore, who was shot without warning by three teenagers in his home in Volcancito. So far as I know, no arrests have been made. There also was a second home invasion robbery in Potrerillos during which the gringo resident was severely injured.

If Marcelyn was unfamiliar with this history of violence, as she wrote in response to Penny's post, I feel certain that there are many other people who are similarly "in the dark." These issues need to be kept alive for the benefit of newcomers and to remind all of us of the possibility of such home invasions and the inadequate police response which, as Marion suggests, is likely perpetuate them.

It is up to the homeowner to "harden" their security, which is problematic as others have pointed out. The "checkpoint" at the Caldera cutoff would have had no effect on Richard's or Marion's home invasion, nor the 3 burglaries in my block of 10 houses in Boquete. Better to have those police resources in/near Boquete, where the police response is dismal, than miles away at the Caldera cutoff.

JimandNena,

Security is, indeed, the responsibility of the owner/resident.  However, I think that your assessment is a little bleak.  Yes, any security measure can be defeated but the all take time.  The more difficult you make it to get into your premises, the more likely the maleante will go somewhere else.  Unfortunately some people have a Polyanna attitude, i.e. It won't happen to me.  Others either don't want to, or cannot afford to spend the money to add security systems.  In my area the two houses that were invaded had little or no security and, most likely, the bad guys knew that and chose the softest target.  Happens all the time with thieves, they are notoriously lazy and will always pick the low hanging fruit.  You talk about the level of security as an "unknown", that is not really correct.  Stage your house in circles, outer fence, dogs trained not to accept food from strangers (yes, it can be done) inner electric fence, yard alarms, lights, sirens and finally, an interior alarm, although I am not a big fan of those, too little, too late.  Then on to personal security, whatever you can handle.  Guns, knives, stun guns, high intensity flaslights and safe rooms.  Again, yes, all of these can be defeated, but at the cost of negating the surprise factor.  Do not rely on police response, they are merely after the fact report takers.

Having said all of that, this place is relatively safe but, people being people, they will want what you have.  A thief is merely a worker doing a different kind of work.  Make it difficult for him and he will look elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

JohnF13,

Bleak?  Here's a partial list of the crimes committed during 2015.

1. Caldera murder and home invasion – August
  2. 2014 Food Box robbery – Volcancito
  3. 9 year old kid around Super 99 road in David shooting the shop owner
  4. Recent robbery in David at the Do It center
  5. Home invasion and attempted murder in Potrerillos
  6. Home invasion and injuries by pistol in Potrerillos
  7. Robbery in Brisas about a month ago (stole electronic stuff)
  8. Robbery in Skateworld about a month ago
  9. Robbery of people we know in Gualaca a week ago
  10. Attempted break in in Palmira
  11. Robbery in Potrerillos – $1000 tools taken from a friend’s house – September
  12. Robbery at Handicap Center – September
  13. A couple robbed of household belongings and 2 dogs, Boquete
  14. Armed robbery of the owners of the Fish House in Jaramillo Centro
  15. A couple robbed at gunpoint in Santa Lucia
  16. An indigenous guy in Jaramillo – sister in law returning from her job in Boquete and was attacked near Romeros (she later died)
  17. Beverly Hills Garden – Los Algarrobos – October – robbery of $1500 from staff and clients
  18. Los Algarrobos, Panamanian family theft of jewelry and 2 laptop computers – no one home

Add the murder of Joe Petrobenko in 2015 and the attempted murder of Richard Moore just over a year ago.

It does not seem like a relatively safe place compared to before the start of 2000.  With the removal of Noriega, thugs with guns became commonplace and juveniles are exempt from procecution.  Add a population of people with a guaranteed income to an area where the locals might make half that amount per month, factor in the little to no response from the police then adjust for the fact that the criminal investigation system is not effective ("as a retired police officer I was not terribly impressed") and what term would be proper to describe what has happened?

A key factor in all these crimes is the mistake that the victims have no real way of determining what the thugs THINK they are going to obtain for loot.  Bochinche would have all the gringos owning guns, having safes full of cash, the latest hi tech electronics, expensive jewelry, etc.  There is some conjecture that the information gained from some victims' phones has lead the thugs to other victims.  Text messaging is a great communication feature but it also makes great reading for the bad guys.  Even this forum is good intel for anyone wishing to know when all the gringo houses will be vacant while the owners are attending the latest social event in the area.

I can change bleak to mildly disturbing but kids with guns killing people without worrying about consequences is serious.

• Upvote 2

Nine year old kids shooting people are not prosecuted in a large number of Countries.  In Canada, the age of responsibility is 12, meaning that a 9 year old cannot be held responsible for anything.  Between 12 and 18 youths are treated differently in court than adults, ofter garnering very light sentences for major crimes.  Same here, although it is a bit more extreme.  Of course crime has gone up from 2000 to now, it very rarely goes down ( people get frustrated and just stop reporting, but that's another story).  Any crime is upsetting, but if you expect to live in a Crime free place, then perhaps Panama is not your best choice - but neither is the U.S., Canada, England, Australia, heck, you get the point.  There is nowhere in the World you can avoid crime, it is just a fact of life.  Quoting individual crimes only serves to induce fear and panic.  Yes, they are tragic and should not happen, but in almost all of your quoted cases you will find that a major causative factor was lack of security on the part of the victim.  That isn't victim blaming, merely stating facts.  The police here are less effective than most, that has to do with several factors including low pay, lousy morale and lack of direction from upper management to name a few factors.  Government is doing very little to address these problems, and when the average police officer sees the scale of things such as Odebretcht it is no wonder they get discouraged.  We can debate for hours about what "should" happen, but it's not going to.  So, two choices, accept that it is what it is and take suitable precautions, or head off for supposedly safer places.

• Upvote 3

On 1/31/2017 at 8:00 AM, JimAndNena said:

The part of the equation that is missing is: there is no punishment for the thugs doing the crime.  Until such time as Panama changes the law regarding minors, the attacks will continue and the targets will be those individuals who provide the most loot from the attack.

As recognized in the above quote, the subject of this forum topic is the police, not security.

But, since Marion's case has figured so prominently in this discussion, I would point out that it is wrong to suggest that she had inadequate security measures in place. Read her statements here and in Chiriqui Chatter. Moreover, both she and her late husband were substantially involved in crime prevention efforts in Potrerillos. In addition to her own statements about their liaison efforts with the police, a resident wrote me the following: "[Marion] and [her husband] Marv worked tirelessly on getting the substation near Dolega operational, twice. She met with the police assigned there and had a strong personal connection with them. She was, I believe, the only gringo invited to the ceremony officially opening the substation." To my way of thinking, this makes it doubly outrageous, not to mention ironic, both that she was a victim and that he resolution of her case was so inadequate.

• Upvote 1

Boquete sounds like a scary place. I'm reading an earlier post about all the robberies and break-ins that occurred last year and now wondering what "adequate security" is. How can someone (Marion) have "adequate security" but have young people enter her home and shoot and stab her?

I have second thoughts about my parents moving here.

40 minutes ago, BlueBird said:

Boquete sounds like a scary place. I'm reading an earlier post about all the robberies and break-ins that occurred last year and now wondering what "adequate security" is. I have second thoughts about my parents moving here.

Just as well then. According to some, the mere presence of your parents here, and that of other expats with guaranteed incomes, will only continue to increase criminal activity.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Touche, Keith!  Bonnie, apart from the truism that "A plan never survives first contact with the enemy" it would seem that your definition of adequate and mine differ substantially.  While not a "prepper" I am a bit more cautious than most folks.  Even then, I have caught myself slipping on the security side, forgetting to lock doors or turn on certain systems because one unit was malfunctioning.  It gets tiring and I'm sure most folks don't really want to be bothered.  Everyone prepares at their own level, that's the libertarian approach but you have to wear the consequences.  This place is a lot less dangerous than some and a bit more than others.

Hi BlueBird,

Adequate security is relative.  Certainly if one lived in a solid steel box that might be adequate, if not practical.  Your parents should be safe if they have the money budgeted for several layers of security as was listed in this discussion.  Those layers won't help once they leave the house or if they are attacked as they arrive home.

The point of the discussion is that if an attack occurs, you will not have 911 response even if they subscribe to one of the expat provided hotlines for help.  The police are underfunded, rarely have a functional means of transportation, and the follow up investigation is tedious and most often unproductive.  The thugs are under aged kids who by Panamanian law can not be jailed with adults. They are released to a parent or guardian or god father and free to commit another crime.

There is a non-current web site of crimes and locations for the Chiriqui area: https://chiriqui.crowdmap.com/main

It never got much airtime as it pointed out the actual picture of the activities in Chiriqui and made for bad press with the expat run tourist and retirement activities.

• Upvote 2

Just one point that hasn't been mentioned here: most of the home invasions took place outside Boquete proper. While burglaries are not uncommon anywhere, the risk increases--and the risk of bodily harm increases dramatically-- when you live remotely.

It also has escaped much mention that living south of town is less safe than living in Bajo Boquete or populated areas that branch directly off of El Bajo north of Cefati. Presumably, this is because the more serious crime comes from David, and south of town offers a quick exit back. The check point at the Caldera cutoff probably has helped, but it does nothing for Los Molinos, Emerald Drive, Potrerillos, and other areas that come before it.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the home invasions occur outside Boquete proper, however crime does occur due west/north west of Boquete. One shooting and 3 burglaries in El Salto, and a home invasion/shooting in Upper Volcancito. In Feb 2014 several tourists robbed at gunpoint in Alto Quiel (NW of Boquete). In my area crime (reported) has actually gone up after the installation of the Caldera cutoff checkpoint.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Just one point that hasn't been mentioned here: most of the home invasions took place outside Boquete proper. While burglaries are not uncommon anywhere, the risk increases--and the risk of bodily harm increases dramatically-- when you live remotely.

It also has escaped much mention that living south of town is less safe than living in Bajo Boquete or populated areas that branch directly off of El Bajo north of Cefati. Presumably, this is because the more serious crime comes from David, and south of town offers a quick exit back. The check point at the Caldera cutoff probably has helped, but it does nothing for Los Molinos, Emerald Drive, Potrerillos, and other areas that come before it.

Pantah has listed some of the incidents in Boquete but it is true that more attacks that we know of have been south of Bajo Boquete.  A few of theories may be:

a. location of who has the most loot to take,

b. established neighborhoods of long-time locals aware of who belongs there, and

c. transportation.

The most important factor would be a.  As Willy Sutton says, "I rob banks because that is where the money is".  Expats are targets because they are perceived to have the most loot, be it cash, electronics, guns, whatever. A small plus to juveniles committing attacks is they don't drive so car thefts are down.  Yes, "hardening" the target helps but it also indicates a possibly large amount of loot to protect. Why steal often when one large haul could provide lots of loot.

The second factor is obvious, maybe. If the thugs are coming from David, the locals will pick them out like sore thumbs. When I walk through Nena's home neighborhood, 6 feet tall, blond, toilet bowl white, I attract quite a crowd. The look on their faces when I greet them in Chircano Spanish is shock, followed by smiles and waves. A stranger walking through the same neighborhood gets the same tracking gaze but receives more suspicion than I cause.  This area does not have bars on every window, indeed Nena's parents' house has never even had a lock on the front door.  The neighbors know when the house is vacant; they watch it, plus there is no more loot there than the neighbors have.

The third factor also involves the thugs' ages.  They probably don't drive and if they do they probably don't own a car.  Does anyone know how the teenage thugs get to and from "work"?  Do they carpool?  Maybe they walk to and from David at 2AM to commit the attacks?  Maybe they ride their bikes?  There is very little public transportation after dark in the countryside so someone is providing pick up and delivery for these youngsters.  Perhaps their godfathers give them a ride?

Also absent after dark is police patrols. The garita at Caldera isn't effective even when manned. The single police vehicle, mentioned as still operational, listed enough annual mileage to cover all of district Boquete 3 times a day but I am guessing it makes more David runs than anything else.

In addition to inadequate police response, and no penalties for juveniles, the lack of public awareness of crime in the area among expats and those considering becoming expats is a contributing factor.  I posted a link to the ChiriquiWatch site above. It was an attempt to provide a means for expat victims to alert others of criminal activities as a means to prevent futher crimes in those areas.  A few people contributed but the general response was from folks who didn't want the word to get out that there was a problem brewing.  Whether it was people trying to rent out homes or apartments, sell cars, or add new members to the local clubs, many people voiced opposition to using the site to the point that maintaining it was abandoned.  The administration of the FREE site didn't occur so it isn't current but it does provide a small look into the crimes that were developing in the area.  It has been over a year since the big meeting in the park in Potrerillos and nothing since then.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pantah said:

I agree that the home invasions occur outside Boquete proper, however crime does occur due west/north west of Boquete. One shooting and 3 burglaries in El Salto, and a home invasion/shooting in Upper Volcancito. In Feb 2014 several tourists robbed at gunpoint in Alto Quiel (NW of Boquete). In my area crime (reported) has actually gone up after the installation of the Caldera cutoff checkpoint.

The principal entrance to Volcancito is south of town, so that's how I counted it. I'm aware of the El Salto and Alto Quiel incidents, but they were rare for those areas. I cannot recall any violent crime in the north (Alto Lino, El Santuario, Palo Alto) and very little in Jaramillo Arriba and Jaramillo Centro. Those areas have their share of burglaries for sure, though. From what I've read and observed, I tend to think most burglaries are local in origin while most home invasions have their genesis in the David gangs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bonnie said:

The principal entrance to Volcancito is south of town, so that's how I counted it. I'm aware of the El Salto and Alto Quiel incidents, but they were rare for those areas. I cannot recall any violent crime in the north (Alto Lino, El Santuario, Palo Alto) and very little in Jaramillo Arriba and Jaramillo Centro. Those areas have their share of burglaries for sure, though. From what I've read and observed, I tend to think most burglaries are local in origin while most home invasions have their genesis in the David gangs.

I picked this off the other web site:

Reply by The Boquete Handbook on July 3, 2013 at 5:17pm

Yes, to all these comments and suggestions. There was an attempted break-in last Friday night up on the Alto Jaramillo circle ( up past Los Establos) ( seems the thieves have moved from Sanctuario around to Palo Alto and now up the Jaramillo Centro road as I have heard of a couple of others in this area recently) .Friends of mine were at home, had just retired for the evening so most of the lights were out (about 9.30 pm), someone shook the bars covering the front door and then tried the handle and locks. The residents (who were pretty well prepared) heard the noises, jumped out of bed, turned on all the indoor and outdoor lights and fired off their boat horn. They also called Alto Crimen. The police arrived some 35 minutes later. A search was conducted and the friends report that the police were very professional and polite. So nothing was found and nothing was taken. They do have a dog and while its very handsome, it's quite stupid and did not bark at all.

So..there it is...

I will leave the link for correctness but I was interested because I don't remember much happening in those areas.  

The teen thugs would have to be from outside Boquete, the locals would know them on sight otherwise.

http://boquete.ning.com/xn/detail/1434455:Comment:380828

20 hours ago, JimAndNena said:

I picked this off the other web site:

Reply by The Boquete Handbook on July 3, 2013 at 5:17pm

Yes, to all these comments and suggestions. There was an attempted break-in last Friday night up on the Alto Jaramillo circle ( up past Los Establos) ( seems the thieves have moved from Sanctuario around to Palo Alto and now up the Jaramillo Centro road as I have heard of a couple of others in this area recently) .Friends of mine were at home, had just retired for the evening so most of the lights were out (about 9.30 pm), someone shook the bars covering the front door and then tried the handle and locks. The residents (who were pretty well prepared) heard the noises, jumped out of bed, turned on all the indoor and outdoor lights and fired off their boat horn. They also called Alto Crimen. The police arrived some 35 minutes later. A search was conducted and the friends report that the police were very professional and polite. So nothing was found and nothing was taken. They do have a dog and while its very handsome, it's quite stupid and did not bark at all.

So..there it is...

I will leave the link for correctness but I was interested because I don't remember much happening in those areas.  

The teen thugs would have to be from outside Boquete, the locals would know them on sight otherwise.

http://boquete.ning.com/xn/detail/1434455:Comment:380828

That was in 2013, long before the Caldera checkpoint.  Bonnie's correct with her more current information, IMHO of course.

• Upvote 1