6 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

In excess of 1,500 drivers were sanctioned for using a celular device while operating a motor vehicle during the month of January.

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/conductores-sancionados-hablar-celular-noticia-Panama_0_4681781876.html

Maybe I am just getting senile, but as of the recent past it seems to me that the driving skills of the people around me on the road is declining.

Just this morning while returning home from the Potrerillos area from a dog training session we had three (yes 3!) near accidents, mostly from overly aggressive drivers. Two of those incidents were gringas (yes, females). And those three incidents do not include the high performance motorcycle that had to be traveling at least 125 KPH (admittedly my imprecise estimation) going (screaming) up the steep incline just after crossing the bridge over the Rio Cochea heading north from Dolega. We call those kinds of cyclists "FOD" (future organ donor).

I like the "Future Organ Donor" definition of FOD -- anyone who ever worked for an airline would know that FOD is an acronym for "Foreign Object Debris".  Both of our definitions are appropriate as the end result would be the same.  Hope life continues to be kind to you and Gillian.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Marion said:

I like the "Future Organ Donor" definition of FOD -- anyone who ever worked for an airline would know that FOD is an acronym for "Foreign Object Debris".  Both of our definitions are appropriate as the end result would be the same.  Hope life continues to be kind to you and Gillian.

Marion,

Thanks for your posting. I/we have not been associated with airlines other than as frequent travelers on many different carriers. Thus the airline definition of FOD has not been part of our everyday lexicon. However, in reading your posting I seem to recall reading an article about foreign object damage. I think it came about the time that Captain Sullenberger (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesley_Sullenbergersafely brought down an airplane in the Hudson River in New York City after having a flock of birds destroy both engines in the plane that he was piloting. Perhaps the term FOD was bouncing around in my mind while we were visiting Medellin for the first time several years ago. That was when we became aware of the high number of incidences of motorcycle crashes leading to Colombia getting a moniker as the organ transplant capital of the world. Interesting story, but way off topic here.

In closing, you probably have me confused with Keith Woolford. My wife is Marcelyn. But thanks for your kind wishes for both the Woolford family and the Huber-Jandreau family. Igualmente. I wish we had met while you were still living here.

No, I didn't confuse you with Keith, Bud -- I just took the liberty of saying hi to Keith and Jillian in the same post since he started it (a no-no, sorry, I confused things somewhat -- but the last year or so has been "sort of" a confusing time for me :D)

• Upvote 1