Problem with Profile Photo - Gravatar

Bud,

Users that have selected "Use Gravatar" to supply their profile photo are not working.   We are getting just a silhouette rather than our actual Gravatar profile photo.   Gravatar was working on the old version of the software and the selection is still available in the new version.   

The Gravatar service provides a profile photo to all blogs and discussion groups across the Internet.  Pass along the error to the service provider, I suspect it is just a glitch in the upgrade.

Dan Porter
Twin Wolf Technology Group

• Administrators

Twin Wolf, and other members with Gravatars who are having a similar problem,

I have just now created a new gravatar for one of the moderator accounts (not currently in use, but available for testing purposes), and it worked perfectly, other than my picture for the Gravatar doesn't do me justice (:|).

Can I ask that you remove the existing image, and then re-enter your gravatar email address, and provide feedback.

• Administrators

Twin Wolf,

More on the Gravatar problem. I went into your profile (as an administrator) and simply reapplied your Gravatar email address, and it worked fine. I did not remove the old image; I simply reapplied the same email address in your profile

Methinks we have a fix. If you concur, then I will put up an announcement to that effect. I have no idea how many members use Gravatars.

P.S., my avatars as Admin_01 and Bud and Moderator_01 are Gravatars,. They are functioning perfectly now that I have re-linked them. If you check out the Gravatar for Moderator_01 you will see what I look like.

--------------------

For those reading this and not knowing what the heck we are talking about, a Gravatar is a "Globally Recognized Avatar". An avatar is a small digital image that is used to visually represent a person or entity, and each one is linked with an email address. Gravatars are a no cost method to manage an avatar globally. Gravatars are a service provided by WordPress (of blog fame). A more detailed description is available at https://en.gravatar.com/ and at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravatar. Avatars have an interesting basis in Hinduism, but I leave further details to your own research.

I concur.  I am sure it is a very small number of people that use Gravatars.   Most probably just upload a photo for their profile on each discussion board or blog they visit.  A Gravatar works in places where you cannot upload a profile photo, such as when you comment on a private blog like Chiriqui Chatter.   It is free and tied to your email address.   Due to the number of blogs and discussion boards I visit, I use it so my logo or profile photo is the same across all discussion boards and blogs I visit.

Thanks Bud.   You have found the fix.

Dan