New Item at PriceSmart

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so I'll ask about English Muffins and Artichokes too.  I've already asked her about the chicken stock in cans and pepper jack cheese.  I asked on Friday and so hopefully, I'll hear something back this week.  Sometimes she travels.  

Also, i noticed in the list that Keith Woodford provided of the different PriceSmart contacts, Melissa Twohey's position in that list isn't what it is now.  I guess, she either got a promotion or they changed her job title

It sounds to me like everyone who's dreaming about their "wish list" might have been hungry when they wrote.  Kind of like going shopping when you're hungry--you think of everything in the world you crave!  jajaja

I'll put in the request and ask her to respond to each of the items requested.  Let's see.

Here is a response from Melissa at PriceSmart:

I sincerely welcome your suggestions.  I haven’t had a chance to go through all of the items you’ve mentioned (been bogged down with a couple critical issues that are taking all my focus right now) but I’m looking forward to reviewing the suggestions and providing the solutions that we have coming. 

I did want to resend the directions on member feedback: please use the link below that will direct you to a form on our website.  

https://shop.pricesmart.com/pa/en/contact-us/

There is a webform to fill out or you can provide comments to the facebook page; there is a link to follow from that same webpage.  I’ve provided a screen shot below.

PS suggestions instructions.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2016 at 7:51 AM, Sassy Blake said:

PriceSmart is responsive to the requests of customers.  The thing I asked Tom Martin about was Grey Poupon mustard.  He told me they had it a long time ago and it wasn't a good seller, but it had been awhile and they'd be willing to try it again for a limited time.  It turned out that it was such a good seller this time that they're carrying it again, at least for the time being.  So if you like it, buy it because it could go away any time!

So I suggest, if you want an item, make the suggestion.  The Boquete.ning site, had the site for making suggestions and requests.  It might still be up on Boquete.ning somewhere.

Hope that clarifies the confusion about from whom the original post came and how the post got put on Chiriqui.life.

There is an email address posted in the store for contacts/suggestions. A LONG time ago I asked them to get more of the 8 oz. McCormicks pure vanilla extract and to stock the Kirklands peanut butter. Now, at least a year later, the items have not again been on the shelves and I received no reply. (They stock a lot of Kirkland products, including almond butter, so why in the heck can't they get the  Kirkland's atural peanut butter?)

I also requested the Swanson's chicken stock in cans long ago. From a post in this topic maybe they have those again. I'll look during my  next trip.

The Kirkland products are great quality, aren't they?  I asked about PriceSmart carrying Kirkland mayo 1) because it most tastes like Best Foods/Hellman's (depending on which US Coast you're on) my personal favorite, 2) because I found the re-use of those jars particularly useful.

Melissa said 2 things:  1) since they are somewhat space limited to carry everything everyone likes all the time, they tend to rotate items, and items that didn't sell well may not rotate thru again until asked about it such as the Grey Poupon mustard.  Also, if as in the case of the recent Grey Poupon order, they'll put a small amount on the shelves for a 3-4 week period as a "trial" to see how it goes; and/or as they told me when they agreed to put it on the shelves again, once we see it, stock up because it may not be there again for a long time.  2)  re the Kirkland products which it seems most people here are familiar with and appreciate: Melissa told me that for obvious reasons, Costco has first dibs. It's their Brand.   So if there are any "leftovers" that Costco can't use (my word, not Melissa's), PriceSmart can try to obtain products.  BUT before they do, they have to be sure the amount of product they secure has expiration dates far enough out that their own distribution channels can sell the product in plenty of time before product expiration.  So it's a bit more complicated than just bringing in requested items into the David store.  They buy for all their stores at once and so they're always looking at how well an item sells overall. ( I don't actually know if they buy for regional favorites or for ALL stores at once, but they buy for more than just one "club" as she calls them.

I sent Melissa a couple emails suggesting all the items that people requested in these posts over the past several days.  I suggest to you that everyone who reads this and wants to ditto any of the suggested items send in the form I posted earlier so PriceSmart can see a groundswell of requests for those popular items that PriceSmart may not even know are cherished.

And when PriceSmart gets them in, stock up.

If by chance, Melissa notifies me about a requested item coming to the store, I'll certainly post it.

Re an earlier post about the kalamata pitted greek olives:  I too asked Melissa about them when they ran out some months ago.  Back then, she told me that they were one of those items that were being let go due to space and demand.  She told me a certain Panama City store had a few jars left, and they were being closed out--discounted.  If I had had a Panama City contact and a way to get them, I would have bought all they had!  I lost out on that one, as did we all!  :(

That said, my memory may fail, but I think she may have said something about bringing those olives back for the Holidays.  Again, if you see them, stock up!  But leave some for me! jajaja

AH! one more thing:  I don't know about the email address posted in the store, but Melissa DID tell me that some of the email addresses and sites aren't monitored.  So that's why she gave us the info I posted above.  She said it is a monitored site.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the detailed information. However, I'm unable to fill out the form - it appears as a jpg or something that doesn't accept input.  (And I don't participate in FaceBook).  Would you please post Melissa's exact contact information? (Maybe you already did, but Keith's big list of contacts was confusing--I had no idea which one to contact.) Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Sassy Blake said:

I sent Melissa a couple emails suggesting all the items that people requested in these posts over the past several days.  I suggest to you that everyone who reads this and wants to ditto any of the suggested items send in the form I posted earlier so PriceSmart can see a groundswell of requests for those popular items that PriceSmart may not even know are cherished.

AH! one more thing:  I don't know about the email address posted in the store, but Melissa DID tell me that some of the email addresses and sites aren't monitored.  So that's why she gave us the info I posted above.  She said it is a monitored site.

https://shop.pricesmart.com/pa/en/contact-us/  at that site, in the contact us box, there are 2 options:  1) contact us by email  2) Facebook.  I just clicked on the "contact us by email", and it pulled up the form that you fill out that looks like the screenshot above.

the "contact us by email" was kind of strange.  I had to roll my curser over it a couple times before I realized it was a roll over link.  I was directed to it and typed in the 'name' field.  it appeared to take my information.  Did you try the link in this post?

So if we are visiting for a few weeks in early 2017 and want to check out price smart ( as a part of determining if we want to live here) could we join price smart? If so how? Their website is not very clear. And we understand a Costco membership from the states is not transferrable.

While PriceSmart carries some Kirkland products (Costco), they also carry Member Selection (Sam's/Walmart) things too.  

When Sol Price started Price Club in CA, San Diego, specifically, it was a warehouse club as PriceSmart is now.  Price Club couldn't compete with the giant Sam's Club, so Price Club sold out to Costco.  In stead of going out of business, PriceSmart was born and served Costa Rica, then Panama, Central America, and recently, it opened in Colombia--the first club in South America.

PriceSmart is not part of Costco, neither is it part of Sam's/Walmart.  So your membership cards for either of the other two stores won't serve you here in PriceSmart.

Sassey,

You seem to have hit a hot topic for those of us who live in the Chiriqui Province. Thanks.

We "vote" for bringing back the English muffins.

Just curious if PriceSmart will be open this coming Thursday, November 10th? November 10th is part of the round of national holidays related to independence.

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2016 at 9:08 AM, Sassy Blake said:
storage container PriceSmart.jpg
Anyone needing storage solutions, may be interested in this product.

The picture  is a close representation of what PriceSmart has in the clubs right now.  Some features include:  airtight, tilt and rolling wheels for mobility, measuring scoop included, two easy openings in lid (large opening + small opening), BPA free and Food Safe.  Capacity = 60 lbs.

We currently have 20 units in the club in David, expected to sell out in 3-4 weeks. 

Wanted to pass it along in case you hadn’t seen it.  We categorize this in “Pet Supplies”, so it may be in the very back of the clubs, near pet food.  Item number #626 in case you want to ask about it at the club. 

Another suggested use for these storage containers might be to keep your bag of charcoal dry. 

Hope you are well!

Melissa Twohey

Vice President, Corporate Foods
PriceSmart, Inc

Did anyone actually purchase one of these units? I did not see them again the other day when we were there.

Edited by Keith Woolford

they only put 20 in the David store.  And expected them to sell out in 3-4 weeks.  The other day when I was there, there were a group of PriceSmart execs roaming the store and checking things out.  I stopped and asked them about the products which were asked about earlier in these threads, and at the same time, we spoke about these storage containers.  They said they were a special purchase, but they bring them back from time to time.

On 11/8/2016 at 5:43 AM, Dennis Philpot said:

Penny, can you please tell me where this new store is?  Thanks in advance.

i saw an extra-large tub of pitted kalamata olives in the case against the back wall. It was way more olives than I would want to buy, but if 3-4 folks want to split it, then we would all be happy.