A little entertainment at the Tuesday Market

In my early days here in Boquete, I twice saw Sra Moscosa walking the streets of Boquete while she was still president. In one instance she had one bodyguard accompanying her, and the other time she was solo. As I passed her on the solo encounter (it was on the sidewalk close to where MBE Boquete is located nowadays) I said 'buenos dias' and nodded to her. She responded likewise. As I was departing the scene, I thought to myself -- boy, that would never happen in the US.

It's Moscoso. Her home and finca (Finca Arco Iris) is behind ours on the other side of the Palo Alto River, but I've never seen her. On our first trip to Boquete we were told that we owe the paving of the Palo Alto/Alto Lino loop to her. It was, I understand, the first or one of the first of the several Boquete loops to have been paved, and it was no coincidence that the President's property was accessed by this loop.The paving was instrumental in our buying property where we did.

1 hour ago, Bud said:

As I passed her on the solo encounter (it was on the sidewalk close to where MBE Boquete is located nowadays) I said 'buenos dias' and nodded to her. She responded likewise. As I was departing the scene, I thought to myself -- boy, that would never happen in the US.

This is true that it wouldn't happen in the U.S. but just to put a little perspective on it, the president of Panama is more or less equivalent in power to the governor of South Carolina and how many of us even know who that is. Oh wait, he was the guy who said he was hiking the Appalachian trail while he was really having an affair with his mistress in Buenos Aires.

PJ, the President of Panama is the leader of a sovereign nation, even if it's a small one. I suppose it depends on how you define power, but in my opinion, the governor of a state in the U.S. isn't even on the same playing field.

It's not unusual to see politicians or Ministers of the government at regional Airports, in the lounge, or on the plane. Sometimes I greet them with a "buenos dias Ministro".

Mireya Moscoso lives in Pedasi but comes here almost every week to manage her farm. I have seen her  at Banco General.

Edited by Keith Woolford

22 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

PJ, the President of Panama is the leader of a sovereign nation, even if it's a small one. I suppose it depends on how you define power, but in my opinion, the governor of a state in the U.S. isn't even on the same playing field.

And, of course, Keith is right. It's not a valid comparison. Part of my slant is that I have no respect for Sra. Moscoso. Every time I pass her coffee processing plant and extravagant coffee house, I wonder about the source of the funds.