Does anyone know if you can renew your drivers license early?

Does anyone know if you can renew your drivers license early?  I will be in the states the entire month of my birthday.  I'd like to renew early but am not sure if it's possible.  Any one know?

Thanks!

Marilyn

8 minutes ago, Penny said:

Rather than a link I'll just state what  I know. You can renew in your birthday month before the actual birthday day. But you can't renew in a prior month.

I have had exactly the same experience as Penny. I could not renew early, where early means in the month (or months) prior to my birth month. Panamanian driver licenses expire on the last day of your birth month, which is unlike many US states in which licenses expire on your birth day (that specifically includes Texas).

I have also found an early renewal of car tags (placas) not possible.

For those who frequently travel for long periods outside of Panama, the above issues need to be carefully orchestrated. Placas are less of a problem because you can arrange for a trusted friend to renew your plates. But the driver license renewal has to be you in person at Sertracen during your birth month.

I don't know what happens if one renews either license or tags late -- presumably penalties.

Hi Marilyn - my Panama driver's license was expiring on July 31, 2016, my birth month. I renewed it early, with no problem, on March 23, 2016 (in the mall next to PriceSmart across from Cinema for $36).

It will now however expire on March 23, 2020, no longer having anything to do with my birth month.

Helene,

• 1 year later...

Is anyone able to advise how far ahead a Panamanian drivers licence can be renewed.  For example if the expiry date is 30 July can it be renewed in early June?

My apologies if this is in the incorrect area or has already been dealt with.  Thanks in advance for any help.

On 8/12/2016 at 7:57 AM, Bud said:

Panamanian driver licenses expire on the last day of your birth month, which is unlike many US states in which licenses expire on your birth day (that specifically includes Texas).

Apparently not true any longer. My birthday is in May. I remember when the renewal was the last day in May. However, this time, my renewal was due on May 12th. I went on May 9th to renew, and the renewal date is May 9th, 2020. If I had gone on May 1st, I wonder if the renewal would have been May 1, 2020?

Edited by Dottie Atwater
addition

I noticed this too, Dottie, when mine was due last December. It always had been due on the 31st, but was due in mid month in December 2017. I too wonder how much lead time you have. It’s particularly problematic in December because of all the holidays, so I would hope renewals would be allowed during at least the last two weeks of November.