My son and I stopped at Smokin' Mama's for lunch today on the way to the airport. Since it's located on the corner right across the side street at Hospital Mae Lewis, I had visited several times before when I had an appointment with my cardiologist, whose office is in Mae Lewis. I have been meaning to post a recommendation, and today's excellent lunch reminded me. Smokin' Mama's  has the best pulled pork sandwich and the best french fries I've had anywhere, in or out of Panama. And there was enough for both my lunch and dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

After completing all of our errands in David at the end of last week, we decided to give Smokin Mamma's a try. It is across the street from Mae Lewis, and directly on the corner facing the InterAmerican Highway. It was trying to rain (a heavy sprinkle already coming down) when we arrived. There "appeared" to be much parking (diagonal, going into the building), but then when I parked I became somewhat concerned about the rear of the car sticking out into the street -- farther out than I was comfortable. Yes, I had pulled all the way forward to the extreme.

We walked inside to aromas that were enticing. Only one table had a customer, and that was a single male who was about ready to leave. We picked a table close to the side street windows. The waitress was very prompt in attending to our needs. BTW, there is outdoor, covered seating and tables in the front of the building. And a large BBQ was street-side and smoking away on some items.

Marcelyn and I ordered just one order of ribs, to be shared between us. (I don't eat much.) She ordered a glass of wine and I ordered a soda. We love onion rings, and so asked the waitress if they had onion rings (anillos de cebolla here in Panama, but aros de cebolla in Paraguay, e.g.), and the response was positive, so that was added to our order. Food service was quick and courteous (and correct!). The food was good. The only "complaint", not a big irritant, was that they had a wall mounted TV going and the volume was rather loud, but we just mentally blocked it out, and it was not so loud that we couldn't carry on a conversation.

By the time we finished our evening meal, the rain had come and was beginning to subside. Additional customers started coming it, and the tables were filling up rather quickly, and the noise level went up dramatically. But we were leaving, so overall it was a good experience. We definitely will go back. The surprise at the end was the bill, which came in at $29.46 including a tip. Definitely on the high end for price to value.

Thanks to Bonnie for bringing this restaurant to our attention. All these years going by it, and never saw it.

22 hours ago, Bud said:

After completing all of our errands in David at the end of last week, we decided to give Smokin Mamma's a try. It is across the street from Mae Lewis, and directly on the corner facing the InterAmerican Highway. It was trying to rain (a heavy sprinkle already coming down) when we arrived. There "appeared" to be much parking (diagonal, going into the building), but then when I parked I became somewhat concerned about the rear of the car sticking out into the street -- farther out than I was comfortable. Yes, I had pulled all the way forward to the extreme.

We walked inside to aromas that were enticing. Only one table had a customer, and that was a single male who was about ready to leave. We picked a table close to the side street windows. The waitress was very prompt in attending to our needs. BTW, there is outdoor, covered seating and tables in the front of the building. And a large BBQ was street-side and smoking away on some items.

Marcelyn and I ordered just one order of ribs, to be shared between us. (I don't eat much.) She ordered a glass of wine and I ordered a soda. We love onion rings, and so asked the waitress if they had onion rings (anillos de cebolla here in Panama, but aros de cebolla in Paraguay, e.g.), and the response was positive, so that was added to our order. Food service was quick and courteous (and correct!). The food was good. The only "complaint", not a big irritant, was that they had a wall mounted TV going and the volume was rather loud, but we just mentally blocked it out, and it was not so loud that we couldn't carry on a conversation.

By the time we finished our evening meal, the rain had come and was beginning to subside. Additional customers started coming it, and the tables were filling up rather quickly, and the noise level went up dramatically. But we were leaving, so overall it was a good experience. We definitely will go back. The surprise at the end was the bill, which came in at $29.46 including a tip. Definitely on the high end for price to value.

Thanks to Bonnie for bringing this restaurant to our attention. All these years going by it, and never saw it.

I always ask them to turn the t.v. down, and they cheerfully do so. I hope the onion rings were good because it's hard to beat their fries, which are big, tasty, and crispy. As I recall, the ribs are the most expensive item on the menu. One other thing: people are allowed to have their dogs with them if they sit out front.

Bonnie, next time if the TV is too loud we will try your suggestion and ask them to lower the volume. Thanks.

BTW, from the post by Pederhaney, one might could say that "Smokin Mamma's" was smoking for a different reason. Guns, no less. Yikes. The wild west rides on. I have no idea how I would react if I found myself in that kind of a situation. Maybe I should think it through in advance.