Let's Not Do Politics

After perusing some posts in the top topics on .ning I am glad there is little or no U.S. politicking on this site, and I sure hope it stays that way.

Instead of spirited debate or reasonable point and counter-point discussions taking place on the issues, it seems there's just continual one-upmanship of insults.

There's also the fact that we're here (PTY), not there. (U.S.)

$.02

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 2

It's pretty well know that Chiriqui Life is nothing like Ning.
But Keith Woolford continues to dominate CL with what he thinks we want to see and hear (649 posts).
In fact, only Walter seems more obsessed with his constant Ning comments.
Funny how a couple Canadians can't resist lecturing everybody else with their philosophy of life.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Esther said:

But Keith Woolford continues to dominate CL with what he thinks we want to see and hear (649 posts).
Funny how a couple Canadians can't resist lecturing everybody else with their philosophy of life.

I enjoy the CL comments from Keith Woolford. Always well documented and current information. Too bad you have such a narrow view.

If you don't enjoy his input then just don't read it. I think this website lets you automatically ignore someone.

Edited by Admin_01
Changed 'web stuff' to 'website' for technical accuracy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Earlier this year, I started blocking my FB friends who overdo it with political comments.  I'm really hopeful that I can unblock them after the elections.

p.s.  I'm not happy with how we are being governed, and I'm not happy about our choices for future governance, but the social networks, including CL, will lose their intended purpose if political discussions are uncontrolled.  I use the comment blocks in the internet news stories to vent my steam, and those comments are only read by people who want to read them.

• Upvote 3

My .02cents.  I don't mind the "what's next for Martinelli" threads, I feel they are important to our lives here and a reminder that Panamanian politics are, well, interesting.  Offshore politics not so much but the site management here keeps it corralled, so I don't see it as a problem.  If I don't want to read it, then I don't.  simple, really.

• Upvote 1

On June 28, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Esther said:

Esther, you could be correct about Walter's Ning comments. I don't know because I don't generally look at that website.

I have, however, looked at your profile on CL yesterday. You've been a member since December, 2015 and have produced only four postings, all of which critique/criticize someone else's material. Other members experience certain things, or read a variety of publications and then post useful information here about those experiences or articles.

I hope you can find the time to post content about things that affect those of us who live here. In other words, instead of critiquing/criticizing, might I suggest that you try contributing information. For instance, I never knew there was a SETI laboratory in Boquete until someone posted about it here on Chiriqui Life.

Wishing you all the best.

• Upvote 1

The measure of a good community forum should be to offer a diverse mixture of people, subjects and opinions.  Bud & Marcelyn have done a fine job of creating a wide ranging site allowing a multitude of topics and participants.

There are already plenty of metrics to categorize us (Expert, Advanced, Member, Novice, Newbie) and each of us are clearly tattooed with posting numbers.

I should have a right to flag people with inordinate participation just like you can judge me for only nominal reviews.

Putting every entry through a "useful/helpful" filter will only lead to confining moderation, something which Lee invariably avoided.

A free exchange of viewpoints should be preferable to a mutual admiration clique.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Esther said:

The measure of a good community forum should be to offer a diverse mixture of people, subjects and opinions.  Bud & Marcelyn have done a fine job of creating a wide ranging site allowing a multitude of topics and participants.

There are already plenty of metrics to categorize us (Expert, Advanced, Member, Novice, Newbie) and each of us are clearly tattooed with posting numbers.

I should have a right to flag people with inordinate participation just like you can judge me for only nominal reviews.

Putting every entry through a "useful/helpful" filter will only lead to confining moderation, something which Lee invariably avoided.

A free exchange of viewpoints should be preferable to a mutual admiration clique.

I agree that a polite exchange of different viewpoints (not criticisms) can make for interesting reading on a website. Also agree with your first paragraph.

I get the impression that you aren't hearing my message. My message is not about your "right" to do anything, but rather suggesting that you contribute something of value. Yes, you have a right to think it, to say it, to write it, etc., but by putting it out here on a public website you are broadcasting your critical remarks to the world. Well, at least over 700 people. I seriously doubt that anyone really cares what your critical opinions are about Canadians. Maybe the Canadians that you are insulting care to the point that they could sue you. Hopefully not.

And I don't know and don't care about "something which Lee invariably avoided". That has nothing to do with this situation.

According to Chiriqui Life documentation, they want postings to respect others, not criticize or attack.

Hope you have a great day.